Log of sv 'French Connection'

15 August 2012
11 August 2012 | Sarnia
10 August 2012
08 August 2012
07 August 2012 | Pt Elgin
03 August 2012
31 July 2012 | Beardrop
30 July 2012
24 July 2012 | Presque Isle, Michigan
22 July 2012 | Harrisville
21 July 2012 | Harbor Beach
21 July 2012 | Sarnia, Ontario
19 July 2012 | Sarnia, Ontario
16 July 2012 | Harsens Island, Michigan
16 July 2012 | Middle Bass & Grosse Isle
28 June 2012 | Catawba Island
31 July 2009 | Catawba Island

Slogging through Georgian Bay

07 August 2012 | Pt Elgin
Tony & Kat
Little Current gave us a great send-off with a wonderful fireworks display - in 20+kts of wind no less. In the morning both boats left Little Current docks in an excellent manner. If only the other boaters were up they would have applauded! Down past Strawberry Lighthouse we started sailing and were able to keep the sails full until Cape Smith where the winds turned west on us and started blowing.

We know that Georgian Bay has a bad reputation but holy bucking broncos - it picked up to 20+ true on the nose with 5-6' waves and a regularly spaced rogue wave breaking over the dodger. Felt like a car wash in a convertible! Of course 'Environment Canada' blew that forecast - they must use the same prediction model as NWS.

The genny came in but we kept a twisted main out to balance the boat. Eight hours later, much to our relief, we were behind Flower Pot Island to drop the main and tidy up the boat before heading into Little Tub.

Fuel, Pump-out and a little monetary persuasion and we scored two spaces on the wall in town. Nice! We were too tired and it was late so we opted for dinner at the Crows Nest (Michael, it has been remodeled). One observation: this boat really handles rough Great Lakes weather well. With the wind/waves the boat was perfectly balanced and required very little effort to steer. Note to Tobermory: Even Detour and Pt Elgin have free wireless get with the program!

Forecast for tomorrow? From the West 15 lightening to 10 early afternoon. Waves 1 meter down to ½ meter by early afternoon.

Tobermory to Pt. Elgin: In the morning the weather was calm all the way through the Cape Hurd Channel, and then it gradually picked up. The wind went south because of course we were headed south. The waves picked up as well. We put up a full main again, more for balance than additional speed although we did get another 1/2 kt. as we started bashing into the waves. Sooo much for that forecast, it was 15 true all day 4' waves with an occasional one breaking over the bow and dodger.

All in all wasn't a bad day and certainly better (and shorter) than the day before. So now we're in Pt. Elgin relaxing - with reservations already made for tomorrow at Kincardine which will be a relatively short trip. I'm sure there will be a lot of reflections about this trip. A couple that standout for me: I like the beauty and pristine environment in the North Channel, but I like exploring new towns and interacting with the other cruisers even more. Heck we even liked Cheboygan (too strong of a comment?).

With that we're starting to talk about next year's trip - Lake Michigan? Lake Superior? Lake Ontario/Thousand Island region? Who knows where but what we do know is that we're having fun and want to continue cruising!
Comments
Vessel Name: French Connection
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Catawba Island, Ohio
Crew: Tony & Kat
About:
We started sailing 27 years ago on a 17' boat in Chicago. Once we found out small boats and big lakes don't mix we quickly upgraded to a 30' then progressed through 34, 38 and our most recent acquisition is a 42. [...]

Who: Tony & Kat
Port: Catawba Island, Ohio
NAVIGATION HELP Note the links on right sidebar, you'll see a photo gallery. Click on it and you'll see photos from our trips. If you'd like to see a larger image just click on the photo. Also there's a link to our email. Current Position: Click on the map and it'll show FC's current position along with where we've been. At the lower left you'll see a link to Google Earth, free software that will show a satellite photo of the same map. You'll need to download the free Google application first. Also on the side links you'll see Sam and Dan's links plus individual links to all of the blogs we've written up. Cheers Tony & Kat
Send us you comments and links to your site