Log of sv 'French Connection'

15 August 2012
11 August 2012 | Sarnia
10 August 2012
08 August 2012
07 August 2012 | Pt Elgin
03 August 2012
31 July 2012 | Beardrop
30 July 2012
24 July 2012 | Presque Isle, Michigan
22 July 2012 | Harrisville
21 July 2012 | Harbor Beach
21 July 2012 | Sarnia, Ontario
19 July 2012 | Sarnia, Ontario
16 July 2012 | Harsens Island, Michigan
16 July 2012 | Middle Bass & Grosse Isle
28 June 2012 | Catawba Island
31 July 2009 | Catawba Island

Overdue Updates!!

30 July 2012
Tony & Kat

It’s been several days since an update – all due to lack of wireless - but so much to report on. We had a pretty uneventful run from Cheboygan to St. Ignace, motor sailing most of the way. We held off leaving because of fog, and while it burned off and visibility improved to about 5 miles, it was still overcast and pretty chilly. For those who haven’t been there, St. Ignace has a great marina, very deep, very well protected, along with a friendly staff. It was a short run - taking about 2.5 hours, but one has to be vigilant because of the commercial traffic. FYI the ferry boats (and there are plenty of them coming from everywhere) are not using AIS transponders.
On the way to St Ignace, Kat suggested I call Michigan Rez to see if there were cancellations for the next night and we lucked out scoring two docks for the following night.

A quick ferry boat ride from St. Ignace later that afternoon and we got to scope out Mackinac before we docked there the following day. The 3-4 block area by the ferry docks reminds me of any resort town – Key West, Charlotte-Amalie, etc. However once you get out of the ‘downtown’ area the landscape and nature trails are awesome. The next day we docked there and it was very interesting! The harbor does have a significant surge (15 kt east winds didn’t help) and the low water presented problems getting off of the boats. Both of our boats had the only docks without ladders to climb up (about 4’) to the docks. Hmmm maybe we can use the step stool (we use on floating docks to step up to the boat) on the boat to step up onto the dock? Not! Apparently we left that one in Cheboygan for someone else to use.

I got to bike around the entire island while Vixen kept Kat company in the cockpit. Dinner at the Grand Hotel was marginal – they’ve outlived their reputation. Hah - but the bread and the pastry at Marc’s was superb. Next time a small bistro on the east side of the island for dinner!

DeTour Village was our next stop – relatively short motor sail day. Quaint ‘village’ but it did have decent docks and facilities. For those headed there, they’re closing Sept. 5 to completely redo the marina. This is definitely a stop for next year. We got there on Saturday just in time for the ‘art’ festival and chicken roast. They also had band playing that night (FYI St Ignace also had one at the docks). This was just a stop to get us into the North Channel and it served its purpose very well. Originally we were going to take the Southerly route and go through False DeTour Passage, but Paul recommended we take a more scenic route through the Islands to the North. So ‘Richard Sharpe’ was the lead boat through a very serpentine route and he did a very nice job.

Meldrum Bay hasn’t changed much, but then there isn’t much to change. The docks are new but in the exact configuration and location as the old ones. The electrical is still on land - 30’s and 15’s only and plan to bring a few cords since the harbor has not been dredged and the closest you can get to the electrical is 75-100’. No water and no pump-out but a new building which houses nice bathroom/shower/laundry facilities. And as usual the Inn did a wonderful job on dinner. Sharon was very accommodating and found us an outside table on a very crowded Sunday night.

The last several days have been relatively short 5-6 hours – it’s kind of nice getting in around 2:00 and relaxing before the next day’s journey. Now it’s off to Beardrop – we catch up with another update in Little Current.
Comments
Vessel Name: French Connection
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Catawba Island, Ohio
Crew: Tony & Kat
About:
We started sailing 27 years ago on a 17' boat in Chicago. Once we found out small boats and big lakes don't mix we quickly upgraded to a 30' then progressed through 34, 38 and our most recent acquisition is a 42. [...]

Who: Tony & Kat
Port: Catawba Island, Ohio
NAVIGATION HELP Note the links on right sidebar, you'll see a photo gallery. Click on it and you'll see photos from our trips. If you'd like to see a larger image just click on the photo. Also there's a link to our email. Current Position: Click on the map and it'll show FC's current position along with where we've been. At the lower left you'll see a link to Google Earth, free software that will show a satellite photo of the same map. You'll need to download the free Google application first. Also on the side links you'll see Sam and Dan's links plus individual links to all of the blogs we've written up. Cheers Tony & Kat
Send us you comments and links to your site