Freya & Us

Vessel Name: Freya of Wight
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanranger
Hailing Port: Portishead
14 September 2022 | South Wales
04 May 2022
02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM
24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM
11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM
07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM
20 March 2022 | Samos - 8,735NM
31 October 2021 | Samos - 8,491 NM
09 November 2020 | Severn Beach, Bristol - 8,735 NM
08 November 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
26 October 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
20 October 2020 | Marathakampos - 20th October 2020 - 8,715NM
09 October 2020 | Limnos - 8,620 NM
30 September 2020 | Patmos - 8,602 NM
25 September 2020 | Evdhilos, Ikaria - 8,552 NM
13 September 2020 | Oinoussa - 8,491 NM
03 December 2019 | Bristol - 8,443 NM
05 November 2019 | Mytilini - 8,443 NM
18 October 2019 | Mytilini, Lesbos - 8,413 NM
11 October 2019 | Molyvos, Lesbos - 8,379 NM
Recent Blog Posts
14 September 2022 | South Wales

Final Story

After 12 years, 8,924 miles, 376 ports of call we officially handed Freya to her new owner last night.

04 May 2022

Interactive Map

By clicking on the link below you can load an interactive map to see our route and explore the places we stopped at.

02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM

The end of another adventure

Time to move on as we needed to drop Ian and Jess off in Kos for their flight home. There wasn't a breath of wind as we motored to Kos harbour which is very atmospheric under the old castle. It all felt very hectic in the town after a few weeks exploring the tiny, peaceful islands. We were treated to [...]

24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM

Stunning Aegean

It was 11 miles to Skala Patmos and an amazing broad reach sail all the way (almost!) - definitely what it's all about. The sea could've been flatter but it was as expected after the high winds. We went side to on the quay with a Finnish boat where it was very flat and peaceful, especially after the [...]

11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM

At last, we’re off!

And finally we were ready to go! The engine started first turn, we let off the lines and left Samos marina. We've loved our extended stay on Samos but we're not sorry to leave the marina which is very is unprofessionally run. We were joined on our first trip for ages by dolphins just outside Pythagorio. [...]

07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM

Very stressful final preparations

The engine was removed very efficiently and with great respect for the boat. It was taken to Zlatco's workshop for further investigation! They returned an hour or so later to clean up - very impressive and the engine bay has never looked so clean and shiny! It was very traumatic watching Freya having [...]

Be Careful What You Wish For!

20 April 2016 | Roccella Ionica - 5,413 nm
Warm and Sunny
When we woke up in the morning we found ourselves anchored in one of our most spectacular anchorages, right under the active volcano of Gran Cratere on Vulcano and beside the hot mud pools - not to mention a very strong smell of rotten eggs. Around us the sea was bubbling and white, where fumaroles were steaming on the sea bed. After our late arrival we had a leisurely start to the day before going ashore. The village of Vulcano had a very relaxed Bohemian feel although I'm sure it's very different in the summer. We found a very nice bar and sat for a couple of hours interneting and drinking coffee which then turned into lunch. We felt we had to try out the mud baths - it had to be done - which were pleasantly warm depending on how close you got to the bubbles but, I have to say, they were very smelly and a bit disgusting with all the slimy mud and who knows what else! From there it had to be a quick dip in the sea which was initially freezing but you could change the temperature by moving around the fumaroles. The only trouble is you were then covered in the gloopy mud excreted with the bubbles which we then discovered didn't come off!

We're always fascinated by volcanoes and so the next morning we climbed to the crater at around 1,000 feet. It was a hot and dusty climb and, in places, the paths had been washed away by the winter rains but it was so worth it. It was a 'proper' volcano with the deep round centre and hot sulphur steam hissing out all around. And the views over Vulcano, the other Aeolian Islands and Freya anchored in her bubbling bay were truly stunning.

The biggest island in the group is Lipari and it was very close by and so we headed over there later in the day. The marina is a little way out of town and so we walked along the coast - a very pleasant but a very energetic day after our volcano climb earlier - for an evening wander and drink. I should imagine it's heaving and very commercialised in the summer but now it was a very pretty old town with a pretty harbour in which to enjoy a glass of wine and nibbles.

We left at about midday the next day in order to arrive at the start of the Straits of Messina with the start of the southerly current. The Straits of Messina have a reputation for fierce unpredictable winds and whirlpools. In ancient times many ships sunk here and in the Odyssey, Odysseus had to choose between which of two sea monsters he had to face in the Straits, been driven by the wind into Scylla a six headed rock monster or face Charybdis a whirlpool. They lived up to it. From the forecasts it looked like we would be sailing at last, even if the winds in the Straits would be quite brisk, but not to bad.

Fifteen miles from the Straits the wind increased and we were off. It was very exciting for about half an hour but then it dropped before becoming squally and from all directions which makes for very frustrating sailing. About ten miles out the sea started to build but seemed to settle a little on the entrance. After several attempts we managed to check in with Messina VTS (Traffic Control) and we were in. The winds picked up averaging around 35kts, gusting 45+ knots, mostly on the nose, and the seas became huge, breaking over the bow, soaking us and making it difficult to see where we were going - Paul as his glasses were covered in water and me as my eyes stung from the salt. After all our careful calculations the southerly current never seemed to appear and at one point we were only making 1.5 knots. We had 3 reefs in the main, no foresail and were being tossed around like a washing machine - but Freya took it all in her stride - apart from finding a couple of new leaks in the hatches. It took us 5 hours to get through the Straits and then it all became very flat and benign as we motored, yet again, through the night to Roccella Ionica on the bottom of Italy's foot.

We knew the marina had problems with silting and so we'd exchanged a few emails with office and were assured all was fine! We later discovered the planned dredging hadn't actually happened. It was 7.30 in the morning and so we weren't surprised there was no answer on the radio and so we took the entrance very wide and very slowly trying to avoid the sand bank when there was a loud crunch and we were aground! We were bobbing right in the middle of entrance but stuck fast. All of a sudden there were people on the radio telling us they'd tried to call us! The Italian Coastguard then appeared, first in a van which wasn't much help, and then in their rib with flashing blue light and pulled us off. They told us to carefully follow them in, along a route scarily close to the rocks on the harbour entrance but we were in safely! It was all done with smiles and no damage done. We later discovered an email sent after we left Lipari telling us not to enter without calling and giving us a phone number. They were going to send out a dinghy to show us the way!


Click here for the interactive map of our travels
Comments

About & Links