Freya & Us

Vessel Name: Freya of Wight
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanranger
Hailing Port: Portishead
14 September 2022 | South Wales
04 May 2022
02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM
24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM
11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM
07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM
20 March 2022 | Samos - 8,735NM
31 October 2021 | Samos - 8,491 NM
09 November 2020 | Severn Beach, Bristol - 8,735 NM
08 November 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
26 October 2020 | Samos Marina, Pythagorio - 8,735 NM
20 October 2020 | Marathakampos - 20th October 2020 - 8,715NM
09 October 2020 | Limnos - 8,620 NM
30 September 2020 | Patmos - 8,602 NM
25 September 2020 | Evdhilos, Ikaria - 8,552 NM
13 September 2020 | Oinoussa - 8,491 NM
03 December 2019 | Bristol - 8,443 NM
05 November 2019 | Mytilini - 8,443 NM
18 October 2019 | Mytilini, Lesbos - 8,413 NM
11 October 2019 | Molyvos, Lesbos - 8,379 NM
Recent Blog Posts
14 September 2022 | South Wales

Final Story

After 12 years, 8,924 miles, 376 ports of call we officially handed Freya to her new owner last night.

04 May 2022

Interactive Map

By clicking on the link below you can load an interactive map to see our route and explore the places we stopped at.

02 May 2022 | Kos - 8,924 NM

The end of another adventure

Time to move on as we needed to drop Ian and Jess off in Kos for their flight home. There wasn't a breath of wind as we motored to Kos harbour which is very atmospheric under the old castle. It all felt very hectic in the town after a few weeks exploring the tiny, peaceful islands. We were treated to [...]

24 April 2022 | Lakki, Leros - 8,914 NM

Stunning Aegean

It was 11 miles to Skala Patmos and an amazing broad reach sail all the way (almost!) - definitely what it's all about. The sea could've been flatter but it was as expected after the high winds. We went side to on the quay with a Finnish boat where it was very flat and peaceful, especially after the [...]

11 April 2022 | Lipsoi - 8,776 NM

At last, we’re off!

And finally we were ready to go! The engine started first turn, we let off the lines and left Samos marina. We've loved our extended stay on Samos but we're not sorry to leave the marina which is very is unprofessionally run. We were joined on our first trip for ages by dolphins just outside Pythagorio. [...]

07 April 2022 | Samos, 8,735NM

Very stressful final preparations

The engine was removed very efficiently and with great respect for the boat. It was taken to Zlatco's workshop for further investigation! They returned an hour or so later to clean up - very impressive and the engine bay has never looked so clean and shiny! It was very traumatic watching Freya having [...]

Cats Cradles

24 June 2017 | Port Athini - 6,255 NM
Sunny and Hot
Our next stop was Poros 35 miles away on Kephalonia. As we had to motor all the way we were very relieved that Paul had managed to identify the problem with the auto pilot and it behaved well - phew! The first night we anchored just around the point where the water was so clear we could actually see the anchor at the end of its chain, 25m away, securely set on the bottom. In the morning we went into the small port and found a nice little town in a lovely setting with a gorge towering above and not to busy. There was a nice walk all around the bay and a small beach almost next to the port for our afternoon swim and snorkel (even Paul is getting in now!). On our 2nd night the port got quite busy and there was lots of talk of high winds the following day. We'd noticed a bit higher than usual on the forecast but it didn't look that bad. As the talk spread extra lines started going on - fair enough and we added an extra line each side. Then we noticed our neighbour checking his anchor every 5 minutes. More lines went on which started a snow ball effect all down the quay until there were so many lines we had cats cradles all along. (We stuck with our four). We hoped no one's anchor did slip and they had to unravel it all in a hurry! It was amazing how one nervous person could cause panic all around! Needless to say the winds didn't amount to much and it would've been a good sailing day albeit a bit choppy.

After a pleasant few days we headed back to Vathi as we hadn't had chance to explore last visit. There's a lovely big anchorage with plenty of room and very peaceful. We walked around the bay having a lovely lunch on route in the town which is really pretty. On our 2nd night katabatic winds blew off the hills and funnelled through the bay which at up to 30 knots caused a choppy night. We felt reasonably confident in our anchor holding but we're a little and concerned over whether other boat's might slip. In the morning, a bit bleary eyed, we decided to move on.

Next stop was a full on sail at between 5-6.5 kts to the small island of Kalamos. We literally blew the cobwebs out the sails which haven't been up for a while. Kalamos is spectacular with its steep mountains rising straight out of the sea. In the small port, the taverna owner, George, helps everyone moor very efficiently and packs a lot of boats into a small space. I don't really like playing boat sardines with everyone so close together but it was a pretty little village and lovely beach with several old windmills along it. When we arrived the boat 2 up said that he thought we were across his anchor - no problem, we didn't think we were but agreed to leave before him in the morning - little did we know what would happen in the morning! When the first boat raised his anchor he had another's anchor across it and we all watched the technique as they expertly freed it - a first for us although we'd heard lots of stories. Then the 2nd boat had the same - they weren't quite so expert but managed to free themselves. The third had a chain completely wrapped around his - that needed help from George and his dinghy to sort. And so it continued, nearly every boat picked up another chain - there was a cats cradle of chain under the sea! We nervously watched until our turn came hoping we could untangle ourselves without too much embarrassment but our anchor came up with no problem apart from avoiding the other boats trapped in the middle, almost an anticlimax in the end!

Then to here - Port Athini on Meganissi. Apart from a quay, fishing boats and a taverna it's just a very pretty bay. We've anchored with long lines ashore away from the quay and it's very peaceful and pretty. The only problem is the wasps which are really annoying and I have a sting on my arm which is driving me mad! We were a bit worried when a flotilla arrived and the taverna started playing Greek music for the obligatory dancing at 10 pm but they played 2 songs to much cheering followed by half a dozen disco numbers, again to much cheering and all finished by 11! And again exactly the set the 2nd night. Why can't they all be like that! Yesterday we walked over the island to little Vathi - not very far but very hilly and hot! It was a very pretty walk through olive groves to Katomeri, a pretty village on the hill with narrow windy roads and then to Vathi which again is very pretty. Obviously lunch in a quayside taverna was essential before the walk back and a much needed swim around the boat.
Comments

About & Links