13/01/2012, 350 miles NW of Naha
At noon on Friday 13th, Fujin was 280 miles south of Shikoku and 350 miles north west of Naha - so about three days to go to Naha.
Winds are still fairly robust - above 20 knots but the forecast suggests that it will die down to below 10 knots over the next 24 hours.
Last night, the swivel at the top of the genoa separated with the result that the genoa came down and the halyard is stuck at the top of the mast with part of the swivel. The sea is still too rough to go up the mast and sort this out, so Fujin is under motor and mainsail right now.
They could of course still hoist the genoa using the spinnaker halyard but they could not furl the sail if they did this given the relatively high winds, this would not be so sensible.
The crew will try to fix the problem as soon as the waves die down a bit and Ivan can order one of the crew to ascend the mast! Having done it myself while at anchor in a calm bay, I know I would not be so keen to do it at sea!
They might need a spare part at Naha so I will be arranging for a rigger to be on standby when they arrive just in case.
Fujin has now completed 3 days at sea - Ivan Alcorn as skipper and crew of his brother George (Joe) plus Morgan Davitt. Stuart sadly stuck in the office! The departed just before noon on 9th January.
Noon Day 1: around 130 miles with noon position at 33.19906N 139.96519E, just to the north east of Hachijojima. Conditions were good with speed up as far as 9 knots.
Noon Day 2: about 140 miles run with winds and seas building. Position 31.61614N 138.39661 E, 120 miles or so to the south west of Hachijojima.
Noon Day 3: about 140 miles run and position at 29.88976N 136.17014E.
Winds all day on 11th Jan above 40 knots with max wind of 51 knots and waves "huge" (probably around 6 metres). During the night of 11th/12th, crew were down to watches of 90 minutes due to exhaustion. They had one knock-down and were boarded from behind by a couple of large waves. Slight damage reported to Fujin's sail bag which skipper says he can fix en route.
I just spoke to the skipper via sat phone - sea and winds have been moderating since 0400 on 12th and now below 20 knots. Forecast is good with winds consistently below 20 knots for the rest of the distance to Naha.
Crew in good spirits despite tough day & night on 11th. ETA Naha is noon Monday which would mean 7 day passage - not bad. They might decide to push on direct for Taiwan (Hualien).
Will post more over the weekend...
Sounds like a lot of fun!
09/01/2012, Velasis City Marina
Skipper Ivan and crew Joe and Morgan leave Velasis, bound for Phuket via Naha, Hualien and Singapore! Stuart hopes to join in Singapore at the start of Feb for the last few days up to Phuket....
A few provisions for the voyage to Phuket! Irish crew in place and ready to depart Monday, 9th January.... eta Phuket around middle of February. I still hoping to meet them in Singapore for the last 500 miles up to Phuket....
22/11/2011, 34 15.02'N:136 27.57'E, Kowaura Bay, Isejima
This photo was taken on 3rd May, 2011 during the TSPS Golden Week Tour to Kii Hanto. Here we are, peacefully anchored in Kowaura Bay, an idylllic place, the peace and quite of which was only slightly spoiled by the advent of 4 gaijin yachts full of crew intent on a night of high jinks.... the rest is classified...