What?? Another leak?
14 December 2014 | Guaymas, Sonora, Mx.
I finally launched the boat and everything was looking good. I motored over to the Fonatur fuel dock and stayed there for the next five days. I was really excited about my new feathering prop as it was performing nicely. I had to do all the yearly commissioning...install the running rigging, check out the sails, get the dinghy and outboard running, and general cleaning and storing all my junk. I had my car taken by George of Mollyhawk to store at Marina Seca Guaymas after I did all my final shopping. I picked a good weather window to go all the way (three days and two nights) to Mazatlan. I pulled out of the slip and motored out of the bay and did a final check of the boat and systems. I was floored to see WATER running in at a pretty good clip and knew it had to be fixed before I go south. So, of course I turned around and motored back to the fuel dock and make arrangements for hauling the boat. As I was backing up to test the back up power of my new prop, I then put in forward and nothing but excessive water being pushed out to one side. I thought what the hell could be messing with the prop. I now had to back in a full circle so I could dock the boat. Then when it was time to motor over to the slipway for haulout, I did it by going in reverse. I had a hard time getting the straps in the correct placement so all the stress would be put on the box beams that is the main structural part of the boat. They weren't exactly where I wanted them to be but was frustrated and told him to lift it as is. Well...the rear part of the port ama collapsed and it was the worst collapse I've had when hauling. Instead of being out of the water overnight it will be about three or four days because I have a lot of woodwork and epoxying and fiberglassing to do. As I write this, all I have to do is fiberglass tomorrow morning and then primer and bottom paint. The original leak is plugged and awaiting fiberglassing. The propeller set screw came out and was restricting one of the blades from returning to the forward position. So now I loaded up the set screw with lock tight and hopefully it won't come out. The post pic is the collapse all cleaned up and awaiting new wood and fiberglass. Hopefully I will be out of here Thursday morn......God willing!