This IS retirement

18 April 2009 | Puerto Escondido
18 April 2009 | Aqua Verde
18 April 2009 | La Paz (City of Peace)
02 April 2009 | La Paz (City of Peace)
28 March 2009 | Chacala.. San Blas..Isla Isabella
05 March 2009 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
26 February 2009 | Barra de Navidad
16 February 2009 | Las Hadas/Manzanillo
07 February 2009 | Zihua Bay
23 January 2009 | Zihuatanejo
16 January 2009 | Santiago/Manzanillo
07 January 2009 | Rancho-Guaymas-Barra
22 December 2008 | Rancho Cordova, Ca.
16 December 2008 | Barra de Navidad
10 December 2008 | La Cruz Huanacaxtle
04 December 2008 | Isla Iabella/San Blas/Chacala
25 November 2008 | Mazatlan
17 November 2008 | La Paz (City of Peace)
14 November 2008 | Singlar, Guaymas, Sonora
13 November 2008 | Singlar, Guaymas, Sonora

What Hurricane???

27 November 2015 | Marina Fonatur Mazatlan
Gabriellas Gpa
I'm sitting here at Marina Fonatur Mazatlan waiting for what is left of Hurricane Sandra. I just checked the status and it is down to 37 knots and won't be here until the morning. Oh yeah, 37knots is no longer a hurricane. Of course I splashed the boat in Guaymas and it went well with only a minor leak directly under the engine. Then I tested my new prop blades for my Kiwi-prop and it was really smooth. Last year I had annoying vibrations from the prop because the blades were too close to the hull and also I fiddled with the pitch adjustment on one blade and don't think I got it back to original pitch. Next thing on the agenda was waiting for Arianas wedding. My first ever Mexican wedding and it was quite an experience. Ariana and Orlando had their reception outdoors at Fonatur marina and other than 30 knot winds and huge tropical raindrops it a real smash. There were two other gringo couples there and after the weather settled it was a fun event. With the wedding past and the weather settling down enough to make my passage south I bid farewell to my friends and set off for 2 and a half day trip to Mazatlan. The wind was behind me the entire way and I jibed twice.....not on purpose. Getting into Mazatlan I noticed my batteries were not acting normal and discovered that all my cables were corroded and the batteries needed to have a good float charge. While I was putting on my sail cover I noticed cracks and new wood rot in my boom. Those two uncontrollable jibes took it's toll on my repair job I did three years ago. I see a new boom in my future. Of course the most important news was the fact that I made my first fruit smoothy on the second day out of Guaymas and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I have a new Edge Star 64 qt. freezer on board and it is loaded with frozen pineapple, mango, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and I use vanilla flavored whey protein and drinkable yogurt. I treated Eunice and Merriam at the marina here to a smoothie and they absolutely freaked. I'm out of here on Tuesday when the seas calm down and will probably sail straight to Punta Mita (Puerto Vallarta) and stay for a couple days then get down to my lovely La Culebra (Barra de Navidad).

The Beginning 2015-2016 Season

01 November 2015 | Guaymas/Fonatur Marina
Gabriellas G-pa
I don't know where to begin...this post will be about the logistics of taking boat stuff to the boat from the states and the preparations of the boat for a successful splash and cruising season. My car got smaller (95 Ford Escort vs. full size Dodge van) and so I had to try and get the same amount of stuff in a smaller car. I thought I would bottom out on all the speed bumps (topos) in Mexico. The only speed bumps I bottomed out on were in a mall in Tucson. I got a green light at the border and was very relieved after a couple of sleepless nights prior to crossing the border. I was bringing stuff for my friends new to him cataraman....4 golf cart batteries, 3 solar panels, and lexan for making new windows. After dumping my friend Joes stuff off in San Carlos I proceeded to get most of my stuff onto my boat. Oh. let me backtrack for a moment. As I was driving south Guaymas and entering Hermosillo I was flagged by a cop standing on the highway. He had a radar gun in his hand and walked up to me to show me that I was driving 87 kmh in a 60 kmh zone. He told me if I went to the police station to pay it would be $800 pesos, but if I wanted to pay him (without a receipt) it would be $400 pesos. In my 8 years of cruising Mexico, this is the first time I have paid 'mordida'. Back to the nautical stuff. Joe and myself flew from Guaymas International Aeropuerto to Loreto International Aeropuerto then caught a taxi to go into town and buy groceries then down to Puerto Escondido to pick up the boat. After fueling and figuring out how to operate all systems on the boat, we took off for Guaymas. The engine heated up and stalled a little past Isla Coronado. After letting it coll dow for about an hour we got it started and left the hatch off for better cooling. All night and into the late afternoon found us a couple miles from the entrance to Guaymas bay and the engine quit again. There was no getting it started. We called Noe at the marina and he found a cruiser willing to come out with extra gas. Gary, the cruiser who helped us began using his little dinghy and 8 horsepower outboard to tow us in. It was going real slow and we came across a panga to tow us the rest of the way. Then at 10 pm that night I had to drive Joe back to his RV in San Carlos. That was a grueling day and night. I should be splashing this Friday and hope there will be NO leaks. I will try to post a few related pics in the gallery.

The Sweet Benefits of Sobriety!!!!

30 April 2015 | La Paz City of Peace
Grumpy Gpa
I left Punta Mita and went around the corner (20 miles) to Chacala for a few days. I had some wonderful food at ChacMool on the beach and I also went in to Las Varas for a visit. ChacMool had this absolutely delicious Mahi-Mahi in a mango sauce and even the rice was the full fluffy flavorful type. Found a good weather window to run an overnighter to Mazatlan. I was only going to spend one night at the marina but, it turned into three nights because of weather and a little laziness on my part. Went out to the islands for a rough night of wind and waves and then took off to cross the Sea of Cortez for Muertos in company of Island Time...a trawler. Thr first part of the crossing was a little lumpy with left over wave action from too much wind the day before. As the night went on it got smoother and the full day of motoring was excellent. Left Muertos the next morning and motor-sailed up and around the corner (about 40 miles) to La Paz. Anchored in my usual spot by the virtual marina and let out a sigh of relief. Getting closer to an end of this season and my sweet Gabriella and myself are getting pretty excited.
The sobriety thing.....this season I actually had a smart (dumb) phone and got to text and talk with Gabriella quite often. Karen (my wonderful daughter-in-law) sends occasional pics and updates on Gabriella and so does Grandma Pat. Watching her grow from afar for six months a year is a real mix in emotions. When I thank God daily for my sobriety I reflect on my relationships with Gabriella, Karen, and my son. The fact that I get to spend the second half of my life with these great feelings of love and pride for Gabriella and family is a gift from God. Without sobriety, none of this could be achieved. I think that God gave me a near perfect granddaughter as a reward for that sobriety. If you have never been a falling down drunk or were completely powerless over alcohol it must be hard for you to comprehend the gratitude I feel for being sober day in and day out. Sobriety has given me growth, peacefulness, love, a granddaughter I can't possibly love more, and this wonderful retirement of cruising the west coast of Mexico. Gabriella, I'm on my way home. God is Great! The post pic is a delicious breakfast on a hotel rooftop looking out at Mannasea. Pt. Mita
Vessel Name: Mannasea
Vessel Make/Model: Piver 36AA Trimaran
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Grumpy grandpa/Phil Perkins
About: After spending the most wonderful 5 years of my life with my grandaughter Gabriella, it's my turn to go cruising. I'll keep going as long as it's fun and if I can get rid of this nagging feeling of returning to my grandaughter..
Mannasea's Photos - This IS retirement (Main)
Photos 1 to 115 of 115
1
My departure from Rio Vista to Mexico
Gabriella knows I
Her famous neck tugs.
Tenacatita cruise
Mom and sister
Tenacatita gang
too much Dramamine and sun
Dad..a lobster fisherman
Yoana
reglassing crushed ama
reglassing the strut area
Port steering pulley
Starboard side steering pulley that fell off
Dr. Lilian and sister Sofia
Dr. Lilian and Manuel
Sofia...is she really enjoying the trip?
Dr. Lilian and Manuel
My precious...........
Barbara (second from left) and Tom (tall). My friends from Hooligan enjoying the Christmas feast.
A typical Christmas scene you can find anywhere in the world...right?    Sands hotel pool and bar area where we had our Christmas feast.
Vendor on the malecon in Barra.
Vendor on Malecon selling papaya, pineapple, and cocnuts.
The beginning of refurbishing the chairs and tables.
The rusty and dirty fan that jumped out and cut my fingers.
Put these colors up against the gringo colors that I applied....big differrence.
Before...boys banos.
My Christmas dinner plate. Susan, I made apple pie and the cruisers would not believe that I actually made it from scratch......Delicious.
Old colors...starting of the prep.
Media room
Mannasea as seen from the school. Anchored in front of the Isla in the Barra lagoon.
School entrance painted 2 years ago...nice lettering, eh?
Before and after
Before and after....most of the chairs had the watermelon paint.
Main classroom....bookshelf.
This is what most of the walls looked like before painting.
Tom putting the bookshelf slats back on after painting in the squares.
Jim putting on one of three coats of polyurethane after the maple stain.
The master culprit who disrupted the tranquility of cruisers in the lagoon.
Rob suffering through the alklyd paint application in the banos.
After....note the scaffolding to the left of the tree....now put an extension ladder on top of that!
Before........
Before
After
After
After
All the masking and paint still got through
Sanford and son
At the fuel dock minus the mast
Ready to ease into the water
Looks like a monster
Semana Santa revellers
Their favorite beach activity...to cover each other in sand.
Even the dogs get into the act.
My lonely boat.
No pooping sign on a gringos newly purchased property.
Chacal...Semanaaaa Santaaaa.
Kindergarten building
Looking down from basketball court
Ocean mural by Mario Tellos
Courtyard
The entire 1st thru 6th grades.
The mural done by Mario Tellos
Ditto
The kindergarten class with art work by Mario Tellos.
The kindergarten banos.
This is my heart medicine...climbing to take these pics.
I love these vistas.
Tucked in behind the sandspit.
The dark spot due north of my boat is a sunken 40ft sailboat.
Mexicans were camping out on the beach celebrating Semana Santa.
I love the water colors. The yacht in the background is Besame with lovely Merry onboard.
The clarity of the water just isn
I will have to do a better job of underwater Photography
This is what the whales and dolphins get to see. They all know my granddaughter now.
Iguanas on Isla Isabella
Blue-footed Boobys on Isla Isabella
The fish camp on Isla Isabella
The 2 classrooms at the Colimilla school.
The computer room at Colimilla school.
I love looking down on the boat from up high.
This is half way up to the top.
Just above the pool area.
From the Paradise restaurant where the food is great and the view is better.
From another restaurant where the prices are through the roof.
Looking up to the Paradise restaurant from the beach palapas.
Just coming up from a dive.
I was disappointed in the clarity of the water around Isla Grande.
These are just a few of the hundreds of fish that were seeking protection from birds under my boat.
This Iguana lives with the Crocodiles.
Egads!!!!! Cocodrillos..............
Nice fat croc.
The start of Zihua Sailfest.
Princess and Grandpa on the front porch.
Gabriellas snow person.
My work attire doesn
Air conditioned bus in Mexico.
This is my view from the palapa.
Guacamole and chips with a double coca light to wash it down.
Yawn....another sunset in Paradise.
Looking at Chacala from the boat.
The boat from the dinghy landing.
The boat from the Port Captains office.
The boat from the beach.
I decided to do a little remodeling while doing my once in 10 year cleaning.
Sunrise coming into Mazatlan
Look at water temperature....And to think I can
This squid thought it could sun on my deck....I think he got cooked!
Sitting peacefully in La Paz
Beautiful sunrise as entering the La Paz bay.
Cruiseship Ryndam at dock in Guaymas.
Added some blanco(white) pigment to the bottom paint and presto..G
I tried to duplicate Gabriellas stick figure drawing.
My new hulls...white white. New graphics.
 
1
4 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
These will all be (dumb) smartphone images.....lousy camera.
20 Photos
Created 4 March 2015
6 Photos
Created 28 December 2013
3 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
4 Photos
Created 2 January 2010
5 Photos
Created 17 October 2009