S/V CIVIL TWILIGHT-Alan and Gerri

FROM MAINE TO THE BAHAMAS-AGAIN! 2012-2013

19 January 2013 | Hopetown, Elbow Cay
08 January 2013 | moving about the Abacos
30 December 2012 | Manjack Cay
26 December 2012 | Green Turtle Cay
18 December 2012 | Guana back to Treasure
14 December 2012 | Treasure Cay
12 December 2012
07 December 2012 | Peck Lake, Hobe Sound
04 December 2012 | Fort Pierce, FL
30 November 2012 | Harbortown Marina, Fort Pierce, FL
24 November 2012 | Palm Shores, FL mm910
19 November 2012 | Just north of Daytony
17 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
13 November 2012 | Cumberland Island
11 November 2012 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 November 2012 | Charleston, SC mm470
06 November 2012 | Butler Island, Wacamaw River mm395
05 November 2012 | Calabash Creek, NC no SC
04 November 2012 | Carolina Beach Basin, NC
03 November 2012 | Mile Hammock Bay, Camp LeJeune, NC

We're Here!

12 December 2012
From bahama arrival
Sunday morning...anchor up at 0650. We are headed to the Bahamas! If anyone remembers what our first crossing to the Bahamas was like, I will tell you that this one was quite similar. Not AS bad, but similar. We headed out the Lake Worth inlet, a well marked channel, lined on both sides with rock jetties. Our first time out this inlet, it was night time, the waves in the inlet were 10 feet tall, and steep, and we didn't know it until we were in them. I think that is the most scared I have ever been on our boat. Unable to turn around because if you got hit on the beam by those waves you would have rolled over and probably ended up on the jetty (at least that's what was going through my mind).This time, it was daylight (a huge difference, right there), the waves where only 6 feet tall, and steep, and we could see them coming. They were still breaking over the dodger as we fell off the top and buried the bow in the water. But it wasn't even scary in the daylight...until that cruise ship heading in the inlet called us on the radio. There he was, all 500 ft of him, headed right for us. He asked us to move to the left side of the channel (like driving a car, this is not the usual way to pass by each other). It was, thankfully, uneventful, but our boat was feeling very small as we passed closely by the Cruise ship Celebration.
The seas, which were forecasted to be 2 feet, settled down about 5 miles out to about 4 feet, which they remained the entire way across the stream. The forecasted southeast winds were actually blowing from the northeast, but only 10 knots or so. And the forecasted 'possibility of a morning squall or two', turned into squalls all day long. Luckily, they were just rain events and no big wind was associated with them. Friends Dennis and Suzi, that left with us traveled a more southern route by about 10 miles, and they had one squall, and sunshine the rest of the day. Go figure!
Anyway, we motorsailed all the way to Great Sale Cay, about 100 miles, and dropped the anchor for the night about 9:30. Not as easy as it sounds, because the anchor chain was all knotted up, and we could only get about 30 feet out. Alan screwed around with that for about 20 minutes and finally got enough untangled to safely anchor for the night. The next morning Al got down in the anchor locker and untangled the mess.

From bahama arrivalWe continued on to Green Turtle Cay Monday, where we could clear through customs. Arrived there about 3:30pm. We decided that we would spend a few days at Green Turtle before going around The Whale, a passage that leads to the lower Abacos. After we cleared Customs, we went to the Lizard Bar with Dennis and Suzi, and a few other boaters that we met there and in the Customs office. When we got back to the boat, we noticed that our freezer wasn't working...the temperature was up to 20 degrees. We keep it at about 5 degrees, so this wasn't a good sign. By the time we went to bed it was 25...and rising. First thing this morning, Tuesday, we left Green Turtle and headed to Marsh Harbour. This is the marjor 'city' where we would be able to make repairs or get parts if necessary. One of the marinas there told us we could put our food in their freezer until our freezer was working again. By the time we arrived at Marsh Harbour, the thermometer was reading 20 degrees and dropping. So, for the time being, our freezer is working again, we didn't have to unload all our food (the freezer is chuckfull), and Alan thinks he at least knows now what the problem was. So if it happens again, he thinks he can fix it.
So, now that we are out of 'emergency' mode, tomorrow we will go swimming and snorkeling and lobster hunting, and head to Treasure Cay and start 'living the dream'.
Comments
Vessel Name: Civil Twilight
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 470CC-135 Built 2004 in Xiamen, China
Hailing Port: Hailing port is Portsmouth, NH, BUT our summer slip is in Georgetown, Maine
Crew: Alan and Gerri
About: Capt. Alan Burke and Gerri Dubey have a home in Maine when they're not on the boat. Salty the Ship's Cat, is a 14 yrs old Himalayan. Eddie the Autopilot is a tireless crew member.
Extra: In October 2012 we will be heading south once again.
Social:

CREW OF CIVIL TWILIGHT

Who: Alan and Gerri
Port: Hailing port is Portsmouth, NH, BUT our summer slip is in Georgetown, Maine