RIDING THE WIND - YACHT AQUARIUS

Gary and Libby Penney

12 October 2013
17 August 2013 | BATAVIA MARINA JAKARTA
01 August 2013
20 July 2013 | JAKARTA - SUNDA KELAPA HARBOUR
21 June 2013
08 June 2013 | P. BELITUNG
04 June 2013 | TANJUNG KELAYANG BELITUNG
04 June 2013
02 June 2013 | WEST JAVA SEA

DEPARTURE JAKARTA/ARRIVAL NONGSA

09 October 2013
PHOTO: CHILLI CRAB AT REZEKI

We finally left Batavia Marina, Jakarta, on Friday 28th September after 3 months of work on Aquarius. During the process of repairing and altering Aquarius, we owe much to the kind generosity and friendship extended to us by our friend Ery. Ery has an engineering business in Jakarta and helped us with all manner of engineering solutions to issues we had to put right on Aquarius. We will be forever in his debt. Thank you so much Ery.
We left Jakarta on a FRIDAY!!! Old superstitions run deep and it was with a little trepidation on my part that we did indeed depart on a Friday. However, the trip north to Batam was an absolute pleasure and by far the best sailing we have experienced on Aquarius. We averaged 4 knots for the 6 day passage with very, very little motoring required. For the most part we cruised at 5.5 knots and upward. The weather was very kind to us and we only had two squalls to entire passage. We arrived at Nongsa at 2200hrs on the 2nd of October. Our friends from the local community and the marina welcomed us back with a huge amount of friendship. A few days after our arrival, we visited Rezeki seafood Restaurant with our friends Lea (Crystal Blues) and Sue and Richard (Sea Bunny). Chilli crab, steamed ginger prawns and kalian in oyster sauce with garlic were sensational. Now to get aquarius bedded down and us prepped for our flight back to Oz.
Comments
Vessel Name: AQUARIUS
Vessel Make/Model: ROBERTS OFFSHORE 38
Hailing Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA
Crew: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
About: We have lived aboard Aquarius since November 1998 and our children describe us as true 'Sea Gypsies'. We love our boat and enjoy the nomadic lifestyle it provides.
Extra:
HOW WE STARTED We bought Aquarius in 1997 after several years of trying to decide what sort of yacht we wanted and, most importantly, what sort we could afford. Our dream for many years had been to buy a yacht with the intention of sailing it around the world. After many sailing trips on OP's [...]

ABOUT US

Who: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA