RIDING THE WIND - YACHT AQUARIUS

Gary and Libby Penney

12 October 2013
17 August 2013 | BATAVIA MARINA JAKARTA
01 August 2013
20 July 2013 | JAKARTA - SUNDA KELAPA HARBOUR
21 June 2013
08 June 2013 | P. BELITUNG
04 June 2013 | TANJUNG KELAYANG BELITUNG
04 June 2013
02 June 2013 | WEST JAVA SEA

NONGSA POINT - FINAL COUNTDOWN

28 May 2013
We have had a busy, at times frustrating, couple of weeks. At long long last our new sail arrived last Friday aboard a yacht that travelled from Singapore for the weekend. During a lull in the wind late afternoon Friday we managed to loft the sail - albeit without battens, and check for correct fit. We breathed a sigh of relief when it fitted perfectly. Earlier in the week we had re-mounted the Hydrovane self-steering gear to the transom and completed some repairs to our dinghy. Sunday we hopped on a ferry to Singapore as our 30 day visas were due to expire on Monday. If you overstay your visa the result is a fine for every day over the exit date. We decided to stay at the Bayview Hotel in Bugis and were very happy with the place. It poured with rain in the usual Singapore style when we arrived and didn't let up for several hours. We got a little bit of shopping done during the afternoon and had a superb meal at an Irish pub just a short distance from the hotel. Monday morning as we were going into the hotel dining room we bumped into sailing friends of ours who had just sold their boat in the Philippines and were on their way back to Australia. Amazingly small world. After brekky Libby and I split up and pursued our own shopping lists - me for boat stuff and Libby for foodstuffs. We raced back to the Tanah Merah ferry terminal and just managed to catch the 4.20 ferry back to Batam. Today saw us fitting the battens to the new sail after Libby spent a half hour in the swimming pool untying the battens from the circular wrap they were shipped in. The water retards the lash of their opening when the cable ties that hold them into a circle are cut. We plan to leave this Saturday, so we have a few partys to attend as sendoffs over the next few days. We have finished all the major tasks for departure and now will spend the last few days making sure all is safely stowed and shipshape for sea. We are really excited with the prospect of our imminent departure, bring it on !!!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: AQUARIUS
Vessel Make/Model: ROBERTS OFFSHORE 38
Hailing Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA
Crew: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
About: We have lived aboard Aquarius since November 1998 and our children describe us as true 'Sea Gypsies'. We love our boat and enjoy the nomadic lifestyle it provides.
Extra:
HOW WE STARTED We bought Aquarius in 1997 after several years of trying to decide what sort of yacht we wanted and, most importantly, what sort we could afford. Our dream for many years had been to buy a yacht with the intention of sailing it around the world. After many sailing trips on OP's [...]

ABOUT US

Who: GARY AND LIBBY PENNEY
Port: MOOLOOLABA AUSTRALIA