Gemini

28 August 2014 | Cala Serena
19 August 2014 | Fornells
15 August 2014 | Sargone
12 August 2014 | Sargone
10 August 2014 | Revellata
04 August 2014 | Capraia
31 July 2014 | Elba
28 July 2014 | Cala Sant`Amanza
25 July 2014 | Sardinia
19 July 2014 | Porto Conte
13 June 2014 | Lo Pagan
04 June 2014 | Cartagena
01 June 2014 | San Pedro
30 May 2014 | San Jose
09 August 2013 | Cala En Porter
07 August 2013 | Menorca
01 August 2013 | Mallorca
21 July 2013 | Mallorca
19 July 2013 | Cala Binirras
15 July 2013 | San Pedro

Towards Cartagena

04 June 2014 | Cartagena
Jane
After all the strong winds of the last days now there was hardly enough wind to fill the sails but at least the sky was blue, the sun was out and we were sailing in the right direction albeit pretty slowly. I know at lot of people would have been tempted to put the engine on but we were happy to continue by wind power alone. Patience paid off and in the afternoon the sea breeze kicked in and by 2pm we were sailing well. A good but uneventful trip and we anchored for the night in Cama de los Nivios. A really beautiful deserted anchorage where we could swim and snorkel. Next day was my birthday and I couldn't have woken up in a lovelier place. Martyn had tested his drawing and artistic skills and MADE me a card (the first one ever in 30+ years). Yes I do know it was because he hadn't thought about buying one but I chose to prefer the home made one. We had breakfast looking out on the sparkling water and spectacular scenery - this was the picture as imagined! We dropped anchor by Puerta de la Azohia. We had been here before and knew it was a good anchorage even though we had to carefully pick our way in among the fishing buoys which seemed to totally bar the way. As the police say about the way out of city after the deliberate traffic chaos caused in The Italian Job - "If they planned this they must have planned a way through" we decided that the fishermen who laid the buoys and nets must have a way through so if they can get through so could we. After a few heart stopping moments en route we finally made it through to beach and anchored close to the shore. It was lovely calm night and we celebrated with a bottle wine and me cooking us dinner and swimming by moonlight.
There were lots of motor homes stopped by the beach with their occupants enjoying the weather and the view. Every anchorage now seems to have nearly as many camper vans as it does boats. If you don't want to sail it must be the best way of having the freedom to travel and stay where you want. Whenever we meet up with any campervanners we always seem to have lots in common.
Next day we upped anchor and sailed towards Cartagena telling each other stories of Hannibal and the Carthaginian and the history of this ancient port. Our new, bright and very large British ensign was proudly flying and as we approached the entrance to Cartagena under the watchful tower buoyed up by tales of heroic ancient sailors, we felt as if the British about to storm the port. I am not sure how accurate our historic knowledge was but Gemini was sailing perfectly, the weather was sunny and hot and it was my still birthday 48 hours so who cares. It was lovely to get so many happy birthday texts and thank you so much to everyone who remembered as it really does matter when you are a long way from home. As ever it is the people at home that all sailors miss.
We arrived in Cartagena in mid afternoon just as the wind picked up. I am sure it does this just to test our seldom used marina berthing skills. We didn't radio the marina to request a berth as we never like the one they allocate so we just motored in, had a look round and picked the easiest one to get in to. As we only planned to stay for one night (at these prices lucky to get us for even one night!) we were sure we wouldn't have to move. Luckily this was the case as the marina had lots of spaces (at these prices no wonder) and as usual the marinero couldn't be bothered to help us move. Of course he said we should have radioed him first as he would have put us somewhere else in a more difficult (or as he called it a more suitable) berth. And they wonder why no one radios them!
We met up with Dave and Carole on Blue Horizon as they had left their boat for a few months in PYC Cartagena and although we had been in touch many times and tried to be in the same place we actually hadn't seen them since last winter. And as it was still my birthday 48 hours it seemed ample reason at the time to drink 4 bottles of wine between us in the middle of the afternoon. And then to go out to dinner in Cartagena`s finest. We had a great night and my birthday was well and truly celebrated.
Next off to the Mar Menor....
Comments
Vessel Name: Gemini
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Hailing Port: Poole
Crew: Martyn and Jane

GEMINI

Who: Martyn and Jane
Port: Poole