Gemini

28 August 2014 | Cala Serena
19 August 2014 | Fornells
15 August 2014 | Sargone
12 August 2014 | Sargone
10 August 2014 | Revellata
04 August 2014 | Capraia
31 July 2014 | Elba
28 July 2014 | Cala Sant`Amanza
25 July 2014 | Sardinia
19 July 2014 | Porto Conte
13 June 2014 | Lo Pagan
04 June 2014 | Cartagena
01 June 2014 | San Pedro
30 May 2014 | San Jose
09 August 2013 | Cala En Porter
07 August 2013 | Menorca
01 August 2013 | Mallorca
21 July 2013 | Mallorca
19 July 2013 | Cala Binirras
15 July 2013 | San Pedro

Rias and more Rias

23 June 2012 | Vivero
sun wind and Eurovision
Amazing how you forget why you wanted to get in to a marina. When we were struggling to sail in the Bay the marina looked very desirable but the following morning we couldn`t wait to leave. Might have had something to do with the marina fee of 31 euros per night. How much!! Anyway used the facilities as much as possible and filled in the forms for the Spanish marina office staff who had attended the usual school of charm and graduated with honours in unhelpfulness.

I seemed to remember the tide pushing us on when we entered the berth but we were so glad just to be in that it didn`t register properly. However when we came to leave in blase fashion by just dropping the lines and motoring gently away I remembered the tide as we were gracefully swept down the marina sideways in the opposite direction to the exit. Much entertainment for the marina staff I am sure who must have seen this happen to unwary English yachts many times. I am sure it never fails to amuse them!

Anyway having got Geminiunder control and headed out as if this was what we had always meant to do, we headed along the coast to Vivero. Coastline very dramatic and foreboding (like most Spaniards we have met). Really beautiful scenery as long as you like wind farms on every skyline! An uneventful sail to a peaceful anchorage in Bay de Abuela in Vivero. Only boat in the bay, cooked the mackerel we had caught on the way and drank our wine as the sun set.

Next morning headed off toward the marina in Vivero as we needed diesel and the pilot book clearly said Vivero had diesel... Marina was quite small but we managed well even turning Gemini round in a tight space in a dead end. Jane at helm, Martyn with eyes closed waiting for the crunch and not bearing to look. How we love marinas! All for nothing too as the marinero cheerfully informed us that they had no diesel or water but we were welcome to pay to stay. We said no thank you politely and motored back out to anchor in the bay. I could still hear the marinero shouting to us as we left - I think the price was dropping the further away we got and he realised we really were not going to stay....

Stayed in the bay all day but we still needed fuel so decided on a stealth mission by dinghy up to the marina and then find a garage on land. First we had to blow up the dinghy for the first time and also get the outboard started. Dinghy was fine and was bobbing about patiently at the back of the boat. Martyn started the engine or rather it didn`t start. Out of petrol so we refilled it and then watched the petrol pour out of the shut off valve in to the sea... Two hours later and a repair made from bits found on the boat and Val`s old knickers (you will have to be over 45 to understand that!) we finally set off up to the marina. We tied up and got up onto the pontoon to realise the 7 foot high gate was locked. Fortunately there were convenient footholds and we shinned over (with the 2 x 10 litre fuels cans!). Then walked to garage and filled cans. All Spaniards encountered on the way in party mood because Spain were beating France 2 - 0 in Euro 2012. We joined in general merriment and got back to pontoon without being challenged. Harder climb back in to marina as we now had heavy full cans but managed to avoid security staff.. Lucky they were all watching the match...

Back to boat and buoyed up by our successful mission decided to go ashore in Vivero where there seemed to be a festival of sorts. Spain was truly in festive mode... we dodged firecrackers being thrown casually into the crowd, watched children as young as 4 lighting fireworks with small flame throwers and finally saw the beach erupt into flames as huge bonfires were made and lit along the entire beach. Small concession to health and safety was the presence of the Spanish fire brigade in very smart uniforms who lounged around watching the proceedings drinking large amounts of beer and generally looking important. Then the main attraction on the stage arrived. A motley group of entertainers - 2 middleaged men in white John Travolta suits and 2 ladies dressed for business of the night backed by musicians who knew the steps made famous by Hank Marvin and the Shads. They certainly gave it their all and the crowd joined in with many obviously well known songs including Delilah in English! It made Eurovision look tasteful!! We eventually decided we had had as much fun as we could take and thankfully as our dinghy had survived the bonfires and firestorms on the beach we headed back to the boat for a peaceful nights sleep. Ah had forgotten we are in Spain - the music got louder as the night wore on and we gave up and sat on deck with a drink and sang Delilah when it came round for the 4th time...

Moving on tomorrow...
Comments
Vessel Name: Gemini
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Hailing Port: Poole
Crew: Martyn and Jane

GEMINI

Who: Martyn and Jane
Port: Poole