Gemini

28 August 2014 | Cala Serena
19 August 2014 | Fornells
15 August 2014 | Sargone
12 August 2014 | Sargone
10 August 2014 | Revellata
04 August 2014 | Capraia
31 July 2014 | Elba
28 July 2014 | Cala Sant`Amanza
25 July 2014 | Sardinia
19 July 2014 | Porto Conte
13 June 2014 | Lo Pagan
04 June 2014 | Cartagena
01 June 2014 | San Pedro
30 May 2014 | San Jose
09 August 2013 | Cala En Porter
07 August 2013 | Menorca
01 August 2013 | Mallorca
21 July 2013 | Mallorca
19 July 2013 | Cala Binirras
15 July 2013 | San Pedro

Mallorca to Menorca

07 August 2013 | Menorca
Jane
I know I wasn’t going to write any more unless something happened so I guess something must have happened. In fact two unusual events – one very special that I would love to repeat and one we would rather not have happen again.

The latter happened first... we stopped for a night in a very lonely, isolated cala with incredibly steep, rocky sides and crystal clear water. I don’t know if actually seeing the rocks under the water is reassuring or not! They look so close to the surface although the depth gauge tells us they are 4 metres below us. Wild mountain goats roamed the shoreline and bleated constantly. Whether to alert other goats to their presence or just break the silence who knows. There couldn’t be any predators about as they would have soon found the noisy ones and had them for dinner leaving the quieter ones to survive by natural selection. By the constant racket evolution wasn’t working here...

There was only two yachts anchored in the whole cala and we had a perfect evening watching the stars over the mountainsides. It reminded us a little of Lulworth cove but even more dramatic. The following morning we woke to another reminder of Lulworth – katabatic strong winds which funnel unpredictably down the mountain side and have nothing to do with the usual weather winds.

As we had been struggling to find any wind for the last few days even this type of wind seemed welcome so we made ready to leave and sail out of the anchorage. There was a lull as we hoisted the sails so we decided to put up full sails and try and get to Menorca today. All went well until we were out of the cala and heading along the coast ... then the wind suddenly funnelled through a gap in the coastal mountainsides and built to 35 or 40 knots plus so rapidly neither of us had a chance to look at the gauges to see how hard it was blowing. We were too busy trying to control the boat and the over powered sails. It was useless and although we released the sails the wind still took us over on our side and flattened the boat. We can both clearly remember the sails in the water and the sea pouring in to the cockpit over the side rails as though watching a slow motion film. Then miraculously ,with no power in the now flapping sails, the boat righted herself and bobbed about sheepishly facing into the wind as if nothing had happened. The water rushed out of the cockpit and we went from standing ankle deep in water one second to a bone dry cockpit the next. It is always interesting to see how we react to these events!! We usually have the same reaction and that is to carry on as if it hadn’t happened and that is what we did now. Martyn pulled in the main and I winched in the head and we sailed off without word. It was about 5 minutes later that we both breathed again and checked if we were both ok. We were, of course and so was the boat although we had taken some water into the rear cabin but nothing serious. Other than that the boat was absolutely fine – as Martyn always says – the boat is a lot stronger than we are and we will give in before she does. I am not quite sure what he means - I didn’t know giving in was an option for us!
So we have had and survived our first (and last I hope) full knockdown....

We thought the incident hadn’t had any effect on us until we realised a few hours later that every time the boat heeled a little (quite normal) we both jumped to release sails and although the wind had died down to a gentle breeze we were rigged for storm conditions... a little overcautious. I hope it won’t have a lasting effect and we will get back to sailing normally. Every gust of wind isn’t a katabatic knock down threat!

The rest of the sail to Menorca was uneventful and we dropped anchor in the first bay we came to – Cala Amarrado and put out the bedding to dry...

We spent the next couple of days anchoring in pretty calas in Minorca and slowly sailing got back to normal. We re provisioned in Fornells – lovely place but horrendously expensive for food. We didn’t dare look at anything else having seen a price for lobster for two of 136 euros excluding bread and vegetables!! Well outside our budget and that of any sane person.

I do believe that every action has a reaction and having had our knockdown experience and accepting it as part of life aboard we were due a special experience. We certainly had it on our way to our next anchorage Cala S`Enclusa. Two sea turtles just casually swimming on their way to who knows where just passed our way. We stopped (good man overboard practice) very abruptly and turned the boat round to look at these fantastic creatures. Such a surprise and privilege to see them. I know they travel long distances at sea but they just don’t look like sea going animals. Tortoises of the sea! Worth a knockdown any time...

Cala S`enclusa was isolated and very pretty so we settled down to stay a while.....

Comments
Vessel Name: Gemini
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Hailing Port: Poole
Crew: Martyn and Jane

GEMINI

Who: Martyn and Jane
Port: Poole