Pootles on La Gioconda

A Summer of Bikes…..

27 August 2013 | Dinan
Dave
The French do cycling in a big way and that's ignoring the Tour de France. Everywhere we have been this summer there have been bikes. Old, young, lycra covered gofast, bikes with trailers for kids or camping or builders gear.
The islands..... Ile de Ré, Ile Noirmoutier, Ile d'Oléron are cyclist havens. Every lampost street sign or other vertical street fitting surrounded by bikes whilst the owners shop, imbibe of the refreshments offered by cafes and restaurants or just sightsee. By English standards quite extraordinary.
There is a cycle path that links the Atlantic to the Mediterranean running the length of the Gironde, Garonne and Canal du Midi.... Skaters note... it is tarmac and skateable. We have seen celebrations of bikes in Agen(knitted bike décor), Betton(astounding display)and various other places. The bike display at one lock was because the Tour de France had passed only several kilometres away!

The French do B&B in a big way....... Bikes and Boats that is.

see photos on facebook


Follow us on our Facebook group and gallery.

See and follow our route in Google Maps

Comments
Vessel Name: La Gioconda
Vessel Make/Model: Heavenly Twins 8m catamaran
Hailing Port: Darthaven Marina, Dartmouth, Devon
Crew: Dave and Jill Conroy
About: Action man and Adventure woman. In other words retired couple with nothing better to do. We enjoy walking, visiting historic towns and sites, bird watching and in between a bit of sailing.
Extra: This blog is to allow friends and relatives to follow our journeys over the next couple of years.

Who: Dave and Jill Conroy
Port: Darthaven Marina, Dartmouth, Devon