08 May 2009 | Ventura Yacht Club, Ventura
08 May 2009 | Ventura Harbor, California
04 May 2009 | Avalon, Catalina Island
01 May 2009 | Calabasas, California
30 April 2009 | Silver Gate Marina, San Diego
29 April 2009 | Ensenada, Mexico
26 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
21 April 2009 | Offshore Bahia Magdalena, North of Cabo San Lucas
19 April 2009 | Offshore, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
12 April 2009 | North of Chamela, Mexico, Pacific Ocean
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
07 April 2009 | North of Bahia Navidad, Mexico, Pacific Ocean
06 April 2009 | Ixtapa, Mexico
31 March 2009 | Huatulco, Mexico
30 March 2009 | Huatulco, Mexico
17 March 2009 | Bahia San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
09 March 2009 | Bahia Herradura, Costa Rica
05 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica

Ole! Mexico

30 March 2009 | Huatulco, Mexico
By Capt. Dave and Desiree
With May fast approaching, and still over 2000 nautical miles to Ventura, the pressure is on to move northward. We had hoped to make a stop in northern Nicaragua, but with a significant weather window to make it through the last major wind gap, the Gulf of Tehuantepec, we decided to go for the 700-mile passage,

We figured if we had faired through the Gulf of Papagallo, the upcoming forecasted winds should make the next jaunt a reasonable "adventure." For the most part it was. We had hoped the future winds to be mild, but it was almost to an extreme. We motored for miles secondary to a persistent headwind, making only 3 knots/hour, instead of our expected 5-8. In fact, for hours through the night we made between 2 and 2.5 knots/hour. We then had a real concern if we would have enough fuel. There were not many options to fuel up, so for fuel efficiency, we would alternate one engine at a time. We had anticipated about a 4-5 day journey, but before we knew it, we were starting day 6.

Dave turned the helm over to Ryan and Wesley about 6AM. I could tell the wind had come up, and we were actually sailing. What a relief! Then....at 6:45, Wesley came to our cabin and said the winds were pushing up to the mid 20's. We arose to evaluate the situation, and soon enough, we put a reef in the main, then a reef in the jib, and half hour later, we shortened the main with another reef. The winds were in the middle thirties, with confused seas, and the waves constantly crashing over us. We were all wearing our foul weather gear, Dave however, receiving the brunt of the boisterous and rushing waves. For at least two hours, we were sailing between 9 and 10 knots. I must admit though, after our previous passage through the Gulf of Papagallo, we were "relatively" comfortable. Maybe we were finally all becoming "old salty dogs.'

Then, as suddenly as the wind came upon us, it stopped. We were back to having headwinds, and traveling about 3 knots/ hour. We realized that the likelihood of us getting to Huatulco, Mexico before sunset, evaporated. Dave then decided to try and take a nap, and I began the paperwork preparation for entering a new country. Ryan was on the helm, and shortly thereafter, the alarm went off on the starboard engine. NOW WHAT? The team went into action.....Ryan immediately turned off the engine and Dave went into the starboard engine hatch. With Dave's vast experience of all our past engine problems he "diagnosed" the problem quickly. Apparently the raw water intake had become occluded with unknown debris. So what did we do? We grabbed one of our small scuba tanks and "blew" it out. After about a 45-minute job, the starboard engine started right up. If we thought there was a remote chance of getting in before dark, they were definitely obliterated.

We finally motored in to the harbor at 1AM. We had hoped to come into the marina, but at that late hour we dropped the anchor in the bay at 1:30AM. We were happy this passage was behind us. The following morning we came into Marina Chahue, and we started the "paperwork chacha." We felt fortunate that the officials actually came to us, rather than our usual scrambling for hours around town. We were out of the winds, on the dock, happy, and could not resist a photo moment.


Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Ventura, California USA
About: The ships complement is comprised of.... Capt. David Harris MD, Capt. Desiree Domingo-Foraste MD, Wesley Harris, and Ryan Harris
Album: Main | The Log of the Sailing Vessel Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008