08 May 2009 | Ventura Yacht Club, Ventura
08 May 2009 | Ventura Harbor, California
04 May 2009 | Avalon, Catalina Island
01 May 2009 | Calabasas, California
30 April 2009 | Silver Gate Marina, San Diego
29 April 2009 | Ensenada, Mexico
26 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
21 April 2009 | Offshore Bahia Magdalena, North of Cabo San Lucas
19 April 2009 | Offshore, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
12 April 2009 | North of Chamela, Mexico, Pacific Ocean
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
07 April 2009 | North of Bahia Navidad, Mexico, Pacific Ocean
06 April 2009 | Ixtapa, Mexico
31 March 2009 | Huatulco, Mexico
30 March 2009 | Huatulco, Mexico
17 March 2009 | Bahia San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
09 March 2009 | Bahia Herradura, Costa Rica
05 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica

Cruising with the Harris'

12 January 2009 | Curacao and Aruba
The Boswell Family
We have had some memorable vacations in our lives, but none that surpass the times and places spent with the Harris'.

There must be something special about cruising . . . No, there is obviously something very special about the Harris'. They make you feel so much a part of their lives because you get the chance to experience every moment of every event. From the heightened level of intensity when chaos (Dave's favorite and Desiree's not so favorite event) occurs, to the level of supreme pleasure, relaxation and hedonism, when everything falls into place, the adventure always lies somewhere in between, and the BEST part of it is that you never know when or where your will be taken during that path of least resistance . . .

We most recently were blessed with the opportunity to meet Dave, Des, Wes and Ryan in the "ABC's", otherwise known as the Netherlands Antilles, an island chain at the northern tip of South America, consisting of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Vicki had arranged a place to change crews on Curacao at a wonderful dive resort called the Blue Bay Village, located mid-island on the leeward side, complete with a mooring, dinghy dock and Laundromat - good thing, too, since all facilities were gladly accommodated once they all arrived.

Dennis and Vicki relaxed at the resort and checked out the nearby town for provisioning purposes, while Catie and Brian obtained their PADI scuba certification in 2 days. They lucked out with a private class, complete with personal attention and no pool time - just beautiful, warm Caribbean water in which to learn their lessons. Their scuba instructor (a beautiful young Dutch gal) afforded them both with the complement of "You guys are so comfortable in the water that I am going to take you to the dive 'around the corner'". Apparently, this is a highly unusual event at this dive school, one of which both kids thoroughly enjoyed in terms of both the advance level of the dive, as well as the beauty encountered during the excursion.

When the Harris' arrived, the pace increased (what a surprise ;-). No more time for diving and drinking Pina Coladas. Vicki and Desiree had to "find immigration and customs" (a.k.a., "a full blown scavenger hunt, complete with hills, dales, bridges, barrio infused industrial buildings with no signs, in a harbor that looked like something out of the Bourne Identity/Supremacy [I think that this one was the 'Ultimatum' series].") Thankfully, Desiree's memory was impeccable. She found the places and, without a hitch, got everything approved. That girl should be a diplomat! She definitely had the customs guys eating out of her hands . . .

While the girls made their trek around the island and provisioned the boat for the next adventure, the McGuyver "twins" (Dave and Dennis) tended to a few maintenance issues, which required immediate attention prior to our departure to Aruba. Fortunately for the crew, these two have worked together long enough to know how each other thinks, bringing to the table a legacy of creativeness, combined with engineering ingenuity, which saved us from having to spend the entire trip in Curacao alone. Once everything was mended, we sailed toward Aruba, the island of Midori Coladas (previous blog) and impressive dives.

Our first stop in Aruba, after an all night sail and morning interface with Customs and Immigration (nothing like the last stop), resulted in an anchorage just outside of Palm Beach. Although it was Palm Beach, Aruba, it was not highly unlike Palm Beach, FL. I am convinced that the whole scene was transplanted there.

It was like being in a time warp. We made the most of the scene, tho', with our day at the bar and the beach. As mentioned previously, while the twins caught up on their Wii time, Catie and Brian made the most of their age. We all enjoyed that scene for a day, and then headed to some more rural locations - the tip of the island where a beautiful lighthouse was and a most impressive ship wreck dive, followed by a couple days in some beautiful coves that were much more under-stated than the prestigious Palm Beach.

The trip was completed at an anchorage in a close proximity to the airport, so as to afford ease to our departure. While at this location, the crew was provided with an incredible opportunity of diving thru' a sunken airplane, complete with another dinghy "experience", surrounding the "aged to perfection motor", which was still a bit upset with us. Again, Captain Dave conquered the demon and all made it safe and sound, back in time to enjoy another delectable meal (one of many had on this trip) on the Gone Native.

It is hard to imagine any better vacation than living on a portable over-water bungalow where you roll out of bed and into bath water to wake up; snorkel, dive, swim, sail, tube, hike, explore, walk on beautiful beaches and eat gourmet meals (when Vicki teams up with Des and Dave it is incredible) with your best friends.

Our trip was one of the best ever. You cannot beat the comfort of the warm weather and beauty of the clear water of the Caribbean. That coupled with good friends, fine rum (or tequila) and some fair winds, whatever else could you want?

We wish Dave, Des, Wes and Ryan the same good fortune that we experienced with them, as they sail thru' the Panama Canal and up the coast of Central America, Mexico and back to Ventura. We love you guys and can't wait to see you when you return to catch up on all of this, all over again!!

With Love,

Vic, Den, Catie and Brian


Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Ventura, California USA
About: The ships complement is comprised of.... Capt. David Harris MD, Capt. Desiree Domingo-Foraste MD, Wesley Harris, and Ryan Harris
Album: Main | The Log of the Sailing Vessel Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008