06 October 2017 | Brooklyn, New York
14 September 2016 | Manhattan, New York
04 February 2016 | Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
03 February 2016 | Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
07 December 2015 | New York City, New York
07 December 2015 | New York City, New York
01 December 2015 | Brooklyn Bridge, NYC
26 November 2015 | Staten Island, New York
20 November 2015 | Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
20 November 2015 | Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
26 October 2015 | Atlantic City, New Jersey
12 October 2015 | Cape May, New Jersey
19 September 2015 | Ocean City, Maryland
04 September 2015 | Oyster Harbor, Virginia
17 August 2015 | Columbia, North Carolina
21 July 2015 | Carolina Beach, North Carolina
19 July 2015 | Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
11 July 2015 | Charleston, South Carolina

TRANSATLANTIC ROWER VICTOR MOONEY REACHES SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO AMIDST 5,000 MILE SOLO ROW FOR AIDS AWARENESS

10 September 2014
NEW YORK- September 10, 2014 – Yesterday morning, Victor Mooney of Queens, New York has reached San Juan, Puerto Rico in his 24-foot boat, “Spirit of Malabo,” during the solo transatlantic row from Maspolamas, a town off the coast of Africa, to New York. Mooney has attempted the 5,000 mile row, also known as the Goree Challenge, for the past 10 years to honor his late brother who died of AIDS in 1983. In his fourth and final attempt at the feat, Mooney will briefly stay in San Juan to advocate for AIDS awareness and voluntary HIV testing. He will also share his inspirational plight with The Boys and Girls Club to encourage youth not to give up on their aspirations.

The first leg of Mooney’s expedition abruptly ended in St. Martin when violent currents overpowered his boat, alarming St. Martin rescue vessels. The rescue mission concluded a 128-day ordeal in which Mooney faced a distressing shark encounter, as well as an 80-pound weight loss. Regaining the strength and supplies to proceed, Mooney was able to depart St. Martin and after only two days at sea, Mooney faced a tropical storm that damaged vital pieces of equipment. The Spirit of Malabo was towed to shore in the British Virgin Islands, where Mooney remained to replenish supplies. On September 3rd, Mooney was ready to continue the journey and was joined by John Duncan, The Governor of the British Virgin Islands and members of the British Virgin Islands Tourism Board to send him off with well-wishes.

To document his journey, Mooney will be communicating via Twitter (@goreechallenge) and Facebook.

This journey has also been made possible with support Mooney’s friends and family, Lloyd Tackling, (U.S. Consul Warden, St. Martin, St. Barth & Anguilla) GlobeComm Maritime, TNT Express, Electec and Custom Fit Marine, as well as his official Goree Challenge sponsors including, Rubenstein Public Relations, Island Water World, Bel Air Beach Hotel and Sonesta Maho Beach Resort and Casino.
Vessel Name: The Castaway