GOSI Blog

17 November 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
18 August 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
08 August 2008 | Musket Cove, Fiji
22 July 2008 | Robinson Carusio Island, Fiji
12 July 2008 | Savusavu, Fiji
25 June 2008 | Albeert Cove, Rambi Island, Fiji
23 June 2008 | Albeert Cove, Rambi Island, Fiji
14 June 2008 | Nasasobu Harbor, Fiji
11 June 2008 | Nasasobu Harbor, Fiji
07 June 2008 | Vianit Bay Fiji
01 June 2008 | Savusavu Fiji
19 May 2008 | Savusavu Fiji
18 May 2008 | Suva Fiji
17 May 2008 | Suva Fiji
06 May 2008 | Opua, New Zealand
01 May 2008 | Opua, New Zealand
23 April 2008 | Opua, New Zealand
23 April 2008 | Opua, New Zealand
19 April 2008 | Opua, New Zealand
19 April 2008 | Opua, New Zealand

Viani Bay

07 June 2008 | Vianit Bay Fiji
Barbara
Greetings from Viani Bay, We motorsailed here from Savusavu via Fawn Harbor. We met the 78 year old chief of the village and presented him with the traditional root, yangana. He accepted our gift so then we asked his permission to visit the village and be part of the everyday Fijian life for a few days. We began by participating in the traditional kava ceremony with the chief and his son. We each had 8 coconut shells full of the brew. By the end of the hour, we were quite relaxed . Kava is a "relaxing" drink made from water and the powdered branches of the yangana bush. The next day we went for a bus ride to the nearby town on the local express bus, it took 2 hours to get there, but we were able to buy supplies for the next 5 days. Mike my nephew is visiting and provided an extra set of hands for the pineapples, watermelons, and 10 lbs of flour. We were headed to the bays of Fiji, where shopping was not readily available so we had to stock up. Now we are located in Viani Bay. There are no roads here, the only way in is by boat. The local Fijian, Jack Fisher, is the "mayor" of the harbor. Jack runs a tour service of sorts. Any activity he helps you experience in Viani Bay costs 10 dollars per person. Tomorrow we go hiking with him to the mountain top. The next day snorkeling on the white wall of the Somasoma straights.. We are anchored in Viani Bay and have no plans to leave.
Comments
Vessel Name: GOSI
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 42 1996
Hailing Port: Annapolis, Maryland
Crew: Tom and Barbara Schaefer
About: Departed Annapolis MD in 2003 to undertake a circumnavigation of the globe. It has been a slow sail so far with extended time in New Zealand and Singapore. Planning to depart Singapore and head back to New Zealand.

GOSIBLOG

Who: Tom and Barbara Schaefer
Port: Annapolis, Maryland