Heading for the Sun

18 September 2016 | Bangor Co. Down Northern Ireland
15 September 2016 | Albert Dock Liverpool
14 September 2016 | Liverpool
14 September 2016 | Douglas Isle of Man
07 September 2016 | Port St Mary Isle of Man
04 September 2016 | Holyhead
03 September 2016 | Holyhead
03 September 2016 | Holyhead
03 September 2016 | Holyhead
01 September 2016 | Holyhead
30 August 2016 | Isle of Man
29 August 2016 | Isle of Man
29 August 2016 | Isle of Man
28 August 2016 | Isle of Man
22 August 2016 | Peel, Isle of Man
17 August 2016 | Gigha
16 August 2016
16 August 2016
15 August 2016
14 August 2016 | Portpatrick Scotland

Things That Go Bump In The Night

07 September 2016 | Port St Mary Isle of Man


On Tuesday we were up at 0700 and the wind had dropped a bit but it was still very foggy and visibility was only 300metres.
We left Holyhead at 0800 and I checked with Port Control to make sure no ferries were due.
The fog lifted to about 1.5 miles and again I was very glad for AIS.
We had a pretty good sail up to Port St Mary.
When we got in Albraquila the motor-yacht we had befriended in Peel were there and we tied up outside them.
We had a great nights craic with Dave and Norma coming over for an impromptu curry.
We had a fairly early night as they were leaving at 0400 for Liverpool.


On Wednesday we were awakened at 0340 by the fishing boats leaving in front of us and then we helped Albraquila leave.
It was a beautiful still morning with no fog and quite warm.
I found it hard to get back to sleep and had just dozed over when I heard an engine and Albraquila was back it was 0500.
We helped them tie up outside of us and had a cup of tea with them before going back to bed. Again I had trouble sleeping and eventually gave up and got up at 0730.
The fog was back in and the visibility was only 200 metres.
I went for a walk around the town and it was very warm even in the damp fog.

The forecast is for big winds the next few days and for 45kts gusting 60 kts on Sunday so we wanted to be well tucked up in Peel before then so we left Port St Mary at 1230 still in the dense fog to get to the sound of calf for slack water.
The visibility was only 200 metres and I was going slow so as to avoid anything and especially the lobster pot buoys.
It was really scary and I would not have attempted it if it had not been our last chance to get to Peel before the big winds came in.
After lightening for me the scariest thing at sea is fog.
I had my lights on and the chartplotter and laptop and radar and AIS all on.
Thankfully as we neared the sound of calf the fog lifted and we had great visibility and warm sunshine the whole way to Peel.
There was no wind so we had to motor but it was only 13.5 miles.
We got in to the inner harbour on the 1600 bridge swing and Mark the harbour master put us outside Pelagos Venture again which meant that no one could go outside of us and we would have a quiet berth.
We got showers and after tea had an early night to try and catch up on some sleep.
Our 2 year adventure is coming to an end and we are nearly home but still have a few weeks to enjoy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Yacht Granuaile
Vessel Make/Model: Wylo II Home built
Hailing Port: Bangor Northern Ireland
Crew: Richard and Eilish

Who: Richard and Eilish
Port: Bangor Northern Ireland