S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Happy New Year

31 December 2011 | Marathon, Boot Key, FL
EVS: Warm and Sunny
December 31, 2011 -- Happy New Year!

On December 27, we returned to Marathon from Seattle, where we celebrated Christmas with Erik, Catherine, Andrew, Rebecca, and Justin. We had a grand time, travelling was not too bad (the flights were full to the brim), but our return was delayed because the plane ahead of ours at the gate was held while they did a “bag pull”. We ended up being directed to another gate and waited almost an hour for our baggage. (We had to check it; the filet knife would not have passed muster in carry on!) Fortunately, the last scheduled Keys Shuttle bus from Miami to Key West also was delayed so we were able to catch it and get back to the marina, and Gratitude, about 1:00 AM.

Grandma caught a doozy of a cold in Seattle, so we decided to stay put here for a few days of recuperation. Also, we needed to re-provision with fresh food and there always are things to get for Gratitude. Rather than stay at the dock, we pulled away and moved into the harbor to a mooring at the City Marina, which is closer (only 2 miles, not 3.5) to the grocery store. After a few days on the mooring, with Lauren coughing and not sleeping, and watching the weather, we signed up for another 5 days (buy 5 get 7) so we can sit through a front scheduled to pass through on Monday and then, when things settle down, head up toward Miami. If the weather breaks before we get there, we will cross the Gulf Stream. Otherwise, we will hang out in Miami. (First visited two years ago, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice the harbor is, so it will not be a hardship to drop the hook off someone’s lovely back yard.) Two other boats from our storage yard are here (Midori and Living Well) and they are planning to cross to the Exumas too, so we have a flotilla in the making.

While walking to the grocery store yesterday, we saw a car with Vermont license plates coming into the marina. At first, we just waved, but then we recognized Jim whom we met in Georgetown last year. He and Irene live on South Hero Island in Lake Champlain and have owned and sailed Escapaid for ~14 years. After exchanging brief pleasantries, we invited them aboard for cocktail hour and it was fun catching up. One of their sons lives in Key West and he and his wife just had a premature baby (all doing well, now) and there are other health issues among family and friends, so Jim and Irene will be cruising Florida’s west coast and the Dry Tortugas. We will share information with them before we depart.

Cruising is like that – paths cross and re-cross, sometimes months or years and hundreds or thousands of miles apart, but people are very supportive and welcoming, which is one reason we love it so. This being New Year’s Eve, assuming Lauren feels up to it, we may have a feast with friends tomorrow to ring in 2012. And, in keeping with the spirit of rebirth and growth, we have appended a photo of this year’s amaryllis plant. As you can see, it is quite healthy, with its primary stalk almost 2’ tall. (Our herb garden is right along-side and is doing quite well also, thank you.) We will add new photos as it blossoms. Amarylli always are a special treat because they are so showy. We hope 2012 is as bright and brilliant as this plant indicates it intends to be!

Van and Lauren
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT