S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

George Town Departure

24 March 2013 | George Town
EVS: Flat Calm
George Town March 22, 2013

This will be a short posting because we are preparing to depart shortly for points north. We have spent our time in George Town wisely – beach coming, replenishing water supply, entertaining (and being entertained by) cruising friends, and generally catching our breaths.

The major effort has been to try to learn the issue with our auto pilot. After doing a call-out on the cruisers net to see if there was anyone here with experience in such things, I met with Clark on Temptress. After describing the breakdown, he said to bring over the control arm and we would take a look. Now, mind you, the instructions are clear that the units ARE NOT TO BE SERVICED IN THE FIELD OR OTHER THAN BY AUTHORIZED TECHNICIANS. We also were advised that the manufacturer, Raymarine, charges an exorbitant flat rate for return and repair on such items. Anyway, with that background, Clark (under my watchful eye – so I could put it all back together again) took apart the drive and we found a destroyed thrust bearing. Actually, it was one of the two tiny Timken-type roller bearings that had disintegrated. Clark was dutifully thanked (with, inter alia, a jar of homemade raspberry jam) and then the search began for replacement parts. I e-mailed Raymarine in England, New Hampshire (where I at least found the repair kit part number), and talked with the Raymarine distributor in Nassau. Virtually impossible to get the parts here, without paying a huge price (relative to a $5.00 roller bearing).

Long story short: our friends Dave and Mary in Florida called their Raymarine friends in Virginia (after the Miami reps basically proved unhelpful) and the parts are being sent to them and from them to us via Watermakers Air to Staniel Cay. We have the air transport arranged and hope to receive the parts within a week or thereabouts. Perfect! Staniel Cay is several days and wonderful islands north of here, so we will begin our trek northward and take it easy getting there.

This morning dawned flat, glassy calm. There is another Brewer 44 right next to us, owned by a delightful young couple with an equally delightful 11 month old daughter. We have compared notes on boats and hope to see them again down the road (although their road is southbound – he is a captain on sailing ships and works 1 month on, 3 months off). They suggested that their daughter could crew for us in our dotage.

We are not there yet, so she will have some training to do in the interim. Another posting will follow anon when we next have internet access.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT