S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Self Sufficient

21 February 2014 | Buenavista Cay
Beautiful
We have thoroughly enjoyed the Jumentos Cays and Ragged Islands. These are the first islands where the locals have entertained the cruisers with wonderful feasts, offers of assistance, and genuine friendship. That is not to say we have not met wonderful people elsewhere in The Bahamas -- we have -- but these folks are special. Perhaps it is due to the fact that they live so far from the mainstream that they relish any visitors. Or, it may be that, because they are so independent and self-sufficient, they can be welcoming and supportive of strangers in their midst.

After taking leave of the Ragged Islands, and the cruiser community (all 24 boats) at Hog Cay, we traveled a short distance north to Raccoon Cay and thence to Buenavista Cay. We had been advised, before we left Black Point in the Exumas, to look up "Edward" on Buenavista for some real local color. We happened to meet Edward at the Valentines Day party thrown for the cruisers a week ago. Edward resides (by himself) on Buenavista Cay so, after walking the mile long beach before which we were anchored, we decided to visit him and pay homage to his island.

Edward Lockhart was born in these islands and lived the first 10 years of his life on Buenavista Cay and then moved to Ragged Islands for schooling and to make his future (which evidently also included some time behind bars for dealing in drugs, a not uncommon trade in these remote islands). About 5 years ago, at the age of 70, Edward moved back to Buenavista to reclaim the life he loved and the island and homestead his parents had cultivated. Edward, whose father bore the same name, was not named after his father, but King Edward VII, who abdicated the throne to marry Wallace Simpson. The Lockharts were strong loyalists who, like many at the time, fled from America during the Revolution rather than fight the British. The family came to the Jumentos to make their future here. (Other loyalists settled in the Exumas and the Abacos.) Edward assured us the Lockharts had kept no slaves.

We met Edward in front of his home, reintroduced ourselves, and presented him with a jar of homemade raspberry jam. He proceeded to give us a tour of his homestead and answer our questions about life on the island. From a distance, Buenavista appears to be white sand and scrub, but dig a little and there is dark earth beneath. Edward's family had cultivated cotton on the island. Now, Edward provides a nice lifestyle for himself. We were introduced to his goats, chickens, turkeys, and pea-hens, and asked him whether he is self-sufficient and can provide his own fruits and vegetables. He smiled and said "follow me". First, he showed us his coconut palm "plantation" -- a row of sprouted coconuts as far as the eye can see. Then, he introduced us to his papaya trees (and gave us several fruits -- some with and some without seeds, but he did not recall which was which). From there, we moved to his "pumpkin" patch (all squash are called pumpkin here), water melons, okra, potato beds, peanut stand, avocado trees, tomato plants, etc. We inquired about the presence of bees to pollinate the plants and Edward advised "there are some", but then he bent down, picked a blossom from a pumpkin plant, pulled back the petals and showed us the male portion of the flower. Edward explained that he "plays bee" by taking a blossom from one to the next to pollinate the plants. Van's dad did the same thing on LI when the bees were not sufficient (and then, he started his own hives to let the natural method prevail). Edward has literally acres open to cultivation and ample produce to supply his own needs. We asked him about marketing to other islands. He said Nassau wanted him to supply goats, but the number was something like 2400 a month, far beyond his singlehanded capabilities. Edward has continued to occupy the island under the lease that was granted to his father, but he dreams of acquiring the island and described his efforts to convince the various ministers (with some of whom he attended school) of the merit of his claims.

Although appearing as fit as a fiddle, Edward is thin and admitted to having an hereditary GI problem and stated that he no longer will go to the hospital because that did not make much difference the last time. Instead, Edward said he will "rely on the Doctor above" (whereupon he pointed heavenward). Edward has six children, but none of them are interested in Buenavista or living on the island. We asked if he would like to adopt us, which elicited a broad grin.

Buenavista reminded us of a modern day Swiss Family Robinson and it has turned out to be a favorite among these delightful islands.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT