S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

No Rules

23 February 2014 | Long Island
Beautiful
We now have left the Jumentos Cays and Ragged Islands behind, but we intend to return some day. Although the cruising guides (rightly) warn cruisers not to go there unless they are prepared for bad weather, no ready supplies, and limited anchorages, we thoroughly enjoyed the islands for their isolation, serene beauty, and unspoiled splendor. Other cruisers had told us how special the islands are, but we had to try them ourselves to learn first hand how right they were. In a chain of islands almost 90 miles long, we often were the only or one of a very few boats. The most boats with which we shared an anchorage was 35 at Hog Cay for the Valentines Day party, and the next day that number dropped by about a third when 12 boats departed. In contrast, George Town can have upwards of 300 boats (the maximum a few years ago was something over 500) and it is replete with activities and scheduled events.

Folks who like the Raggeds and Jumentos tend not to like George Town and avoid it and its organized ways. The first day we went ashore at Hog Cay, Van placed a bag at an empty table and asked if that would violate anyone's rules or space. The response: "there are no rules here, this is not George Town", whereupon the woman who made the remark faked a slap across her face as if to say "bad girl". We now understand the sentiment and the attraction of these islands.

Although we had intended to head back up to George Town where we have friends and to reprovision, etc., we decided instead to divert to Long Island for a couple days to ease back into civilization. We can do the shopping and acquire the supplies we need without having to contend with hundreds of other folks just yet.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT