S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Making a Living

26 February 2014 | Long Island, Bahamas
EVS: Fine
When we lived in NYC, we constantly were amazed at the number of ways there are for people to make a living. Of course, there was the green grocer, the butcher, the haberdasher. But then there were the unusual vocations: button shops, ribbon shops, hat shops, and diamond merchants. Over the course of our lives, we have encountered all sorts of other worthy occupations, all undertaken in an effort to satisfy a customer need, to make a living, and perhaps to fulfill a dream.

Here in the Bahamas, it is not at all unusual to find people who do many things. We had haircuts from the woman who operates an insurance agency out of her beauty salon; we have purchased internet time from a pet store; and we have bought fish from another beauty salon. With the exception of the first example (where the woman -- Marcie -- always wanted to be a beautician but added the insurance agency as a side line), we do not know which came first or what was the vocation of choice.

While we were on Long Island, we came across a truly unusual occupation, or combination of occupations. Dean's Blue Hole reputedly is the deepest blue hole in the world at 663'. At the bottom, it connects to the Atlantic Ocean and so the waters are full of ocean life, not just the sorts of creatures one would expect in a land based water hole. Because it is so deep, it also is the site of free diving "extreme sport" competitions in which people dive as deep as they can without breathing apparatus (and return alive). At a recent (last November) challenge, one of the contestants came to the surface, but promptly died from ruptured blood vessels in his lungs. The story is that he had not been feeling up to par, was advised to drop out, competed anyway and, contrary to guidelines, descended, started to ascend, and then went deeper before coming to the surface.

As we approached the blue hole, we saw folks out on the diving platform and Van struck up a conversation with a young woman who had been conversing with one of the divers. It turns out that her husband is the record holder for Dean's Blue Hole. When asked what he was doing, she advised that a problem in free diving is that, when the body builds up carbon dioxide, a "take a breath" reflex kicks in, and that is not a good reflex to experience while under water. So, her husband was trying to control the reflex by doing repeated dives, allowing the CO2 to build up, and learning to overcome the reflex. He was doing 10-20 dives to 20-30 meters (yes, as in 100') deep over the course of the day. Van asked her where they live to accommodate his practice -- Long Island; and what do they do to support themselves -- teach free diving and yoga (for breathing and relaxation exercises) and travel around the world to compete and give demonstrations and lessons. Now that is an unusual way to make a living! We are not sure at what age one is considered too old for the sport, but we suspect it is not old. But, there always is the grocery store to manage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT