S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Weather

05 March 2014 | Black Point, Exuma
EVS: Dark and Threatening
As readers of this blog know from such expressions as “waiting for a weather window”, weather is the controlling factor in all we do. Not only is it a concern for safety, but traveling in bad weather can be downright uncomfortable. We listen to Chris Parker at 6:30 am to get the overall forecast for the US, North Atlantic, and the Bahamas, and then the specific forecast for the areas we will be cruising. When we can, we also download a variety of weather data and information and try to make our own assessments and plan accordingly. (The old fashioned barometer also can be a very helpful instrument as well as watching the clouds and their formations.) Sometimes all is in agreement, but often each different source yields a different forecast, so we indeed have to make up our own minds.

Originally, we had planned to leave Georgetown on Thursday, in part in order to spend a final day with friends Burt and Pru on Exuberant. However, the forecasts for Thursday and Friday were deteriorating, and we have learned (the hard way) not to expect deteriorating conditions to get better. So, we made our excuses and departed a day early to get north ahead of the threatened squalls and west winds. We sailed virtually the entire distance on our spinnaker (well, we also used the iron genny – i.e. the engine – to maintain speed and enable us to get to our destination with enough light for safe entrance) but doused it when a line of squalls approached. As the winds started to get fluky, we dropped the light fabric spinnaker, stuffed it into its sail bag, and deployed the heavier jib. Fortunately, the squalls passed to our south and east, but we could see heavy rain in the passing. Most interesting was a small water spout up in the clouds. It was about 5 miles away, so not a threat to us, but we never had seen one before and we watched it intently in case it decided to join forces with other squall attributes and head our way.

Now we are at anchor in Black Point, were we may do laundry tomorrow unless the squalls that are forecast for tomorrow move in and keep us on board. The sky is getting darker and more threatening as we write this, so the weather still is reminding us to pay attention.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT