S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Essential Boating Gear

20 January 2015 | CHBS
EVS: Overcast and cool to warming
One of the things we have learned during our years of cruising (and anything else we have done for that matter) is the importance of having the proper equipment. Most of our acquisitions for Gratitude have had a strong safety component – in other words, if it helps make our cruising safer, it moves up on the list of things to have aboard.
With that in mind, we have examined our equipment. Compass? Check. Radar? Check. VHF Radio? Check. Automatic Information System? Check. Liferaft? Check. GPS/Chartplotter? Check. Microwave oven? Check. Microwave? Yup, we have one of those on board as well as a refrigerator and freezer and gas stove with oven. How is that a safety feature? Have you never heard the maxim “if Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”?
Gratitude came with a microwave when we bought her and we have used it fairly frequently to heat meals (now, that’s a safety item) or beverages. The other night it was downright cold (for Florida) and Lauren needed her cozies warmed up. For the uninitiated, those are sock like creations full of rice that one puts in a microwave and heats, then wraps around one’s feet or neck to take the chill off when going to bed. (Think of it as an updated heated rock or hotwater bottle.) When Lauren put hers in the microwave, she noted that it took exceptionally long for them to warm up and the microwave made “strange noises”. Van insisted (briefly) that a microwave was not an essential aboard a cruising vessel, but he soon found his way to the nearest appliance store for a replacement. Amidst all the other chores to get Gratitude ready to go sailing, we added “installing a new microwave” to the list, and it got done. Now, Momma is happy.
Wrapped around that project (which required some surgical carpentry), Van installed a new “kill switch” for the diesel (we could get it started, but not stop it – the old switch was bad), replenished the LP gas (for the aforesaid gas stove), filled the water tanks, installed the enclosure (for cool nights and rainy occasions so the cockpit – and each aboard – stays dry), rechecked the diesel engine, and generally put things in their proper places (until the next time they are hauled out for a project). At last, it seems we may be about ready to pull away from the boat yard and – get this – go sailing! Yes, the sails have been fitted so they are ready to fly. Stay tuned!
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT