S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Spider Web

06 January 2016 | Brown's Dock Bimini
EVS: Stormy
We are in Bimini, sitting out a blow. The weather has been unusually hot and humid since the beginning of this trip, but yesterday it cooled considerably as two fronts merged and now cross over the area (with a focus on the northern Bahamas). We are tied to the docks at Brown’s Marina (the first one as one enters the harbor on North Bimini) and fortunately, we were able to secure a slip with Gratitude facing north as that is the primary direction from which bad weather comes.
As the storm approached, we added more lines, as did our neighbors. The boats were pitching and lunging in place, which was most disconcerting as the lines would stretch and creek with each lunge. Normally, we anchor (i.e. do not tie to a dock) so Gratitude is free to swing with the wind and lie bow directly (most of the time) into the wind. The action of the boat is far gentler – there may be some rocking and pitching, but no lunges, no slams against a rod tight line, and no severe pressure points focused on one chock (a fitting on the boat through which the lines are fed to the cleats where they are tied off). Although Gratitude looks like she is gathered in the center of a spider web, she acts like a bucking bronco being broken in a corral. While we are dealing with this action, a sailboat down the dock is tied stern to the wind so her action is even more extreme, not to mention noisy as the wind roars over her decks and rigging from stern to bow and as the waves slam into her transom and undersides.
But, we seem to be fine. The winds subsided a lot during the night, so we were able to sleep soundly. They started to life again at 5:00 am, so the first “bang” of a wave against Gratitude’s hull woke Van up. The wind is shifting slightly to the east, so it no longer is coming directly across our bows. This puts even more pressure on the boat and fittings on one side. Another reason we like anchoring out!
Being at a dock has its advantages too. There is a community of others to help set and adjust lines and there are other boats to visit without having to clamber down into a bucking dinghy. And, on most of those visits, there is some sort of food or beverage provided. This morning, we are invited to Knot 2 Fast (a trawler) for pancakes and more explanation (Bob is a newbie) of the charts and cruising areas in the Exumas. Not shabby at all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT