S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Cruising, for sure

09 February 2012 | Little Farmer's Cay
EVS: Sunny
As you may recall from several blogs ago, a definition of cruising is “working on your boat in exotic places”. By that definition, we seem to be cruising alright!

That blog was about a chain plate that let go (benignly). Subsequently, we experienced a head sail failure (kind of like a costume malfunction but less exciting). Now, we have no windlass. What is a windlass? It is the heavy duty motor and gear system for putting down and pulling up the anchor and all of the chain attached to it. Ours is rated for 3000 pounds, but we do not put that strain on it. Anyway, the windlass takes the strain that otherwise would be on backs and arms. Van thought he saw the windlass shift slightly the other day, and he has been watching it because it is an original piece of equipment. Indeed, he thought this coming haul out season would be a good time to remove and service it. Shoulda, woulda, coulda!

While preparing to depart Black Point yesterday, Van checked the anchor locker and saw a large piece of wood down by the chain. Recalling Newton, he looked up and saw that the shim (the spacer) between the windlass and the underside of the deck was gone. It had been a thick piece of (marine grade?) plywood that totally disintegrated. We carefully pulled up the anchor and the windlass worked, but then stopped just as the anchor got to the pulpit. On checking again, Van realized that all the through deck bolts had sheared off (likely, they corroded over time and just gave up). Our new project thus became perfectly clear.

We decided that, rather than dawdle and stop along the way at pretty beaches and multiple anchorings, we would move along to Georgetown where we might find materials to refit new bolts and shims. En route, we saw Motivator ahead of us and we hailed them to say hi. During the course of the conversation, Van mentioned the newest issue and Moe said he had a piece of Starboard on board. That is a dense form of plastic that is used for all sorts of things on board (including the shelving for our new refrigerator/freezer compressors). Because they were going to Little Farmer’s Cay, we decided to stop there too and pick up a mooring (thus not having to contend with our second anchor, which is a different type from the one we use all the time and have come to rely upon). We moored right next to Moe and Polly and retrieved the Starboard and started to dismantle the windlass. Not an easy task as it is mounted under the deck, inside the anchor locker, and lies just above a bulkhead that divides the anchor locker into two sections, one for chain the other for rope and chain. The space is tight and not conducive to comfort. We finally managed to free the motor, gearbox, and shaft from the above deck fittings (chain gear, etc.). Of course, the gizmo is very heavy, the shaft was greasy, and there was no way Lauren could hold it up (not to mention, Van could not let go to allow her to grab it). So, Lauren went below and we guided all down slowly until the motor rested on top of the bulkhead dividing the anchor locker. It then became obvious that the bulkhead was in the way and we could not get the motor, etc. out without cutting the bulkhead. We did what more we could then, cleaned up, and went to Motivator for Mojitos. Very refreshing following a hot afternoon in the anchor locker.

Van did not sleep much last night trying to solve the issues of removal of the windlass, determining a source for 6¾” X 3/8” stainless steel machine screws, etc. After breakfast, we used fender boards as scaffolding to support the motor so Van could cut the bulkhead. Then, we repositioned the unit and tested it – all works fine. We lowered the unit, disconnected the wires from the motor, and manhandled it all out of the locker. It is not awfully big, but it is awfully heavy – feels like 40 pounds, but probably not that much. Having engineered the fix while he should have been sleeping, Van was anxious to get to shore, clean up the windlass, paint it a prime coat, make the shims, and get all in preparation for reinstallation once we get to Georgetown (and get new fastenings).

In the meanwhile, we will put our trusty Delta anchor on the rope and chain rode and leave the Danforth for a back-up, which we hope not to need. We are not done yet, but if all goes well, we should be back in business (or close enough to) by this time next week. And, yes, this means we will be using backs and arms to haul up the anchor, but that is the way it always has been done before all this new fangled stuff!

Our friend, Joe, commented that this is why it is nice to have friends who have boats one can visit.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT