S.V. Gratitude

Brewer 44, hull number 284

18 March 2019 | Cumberland Island, GA
08 February 2019
08 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
01 February 2019 | Great Harbor Cay
31 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
21 December 2018 | Stuart Florida
21 December 2018
17 December 2018 | Stuart, FL
14 December 2018 | St. Augustine, FL
13 December 2018 | Sister’s Creek
12 December 2018 | Atlantic Ocean
11 December 2018 | Windmill Harbour
01 March 2017 | Exumas
26 February 2017 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
09 February 2017 | Hog Cay, Jumentos Islands, Bahamas
27 January 2017 | En Route to Nassau
23 January 2017 | Sister Creek, Marathon, FL
06 January 2017 | Cayo Costa State Park
17 March 2016
14 March 2016

Hamburgers in Paradise

06 February 2016 | Double Breasted Cay, Jumentos
EVS
Because a cold front was forecast and the anchorage at Hog Cay provided no protection from the west, we decided to move and explore some places we had not seen and that would provide a change in scenery. Most of the other boats anchored at Hog Cay decided to do the same and each selected a place that was thought to provide better protection from the coming winds.
We moved initially to Man O’War Bay next to Nairn Cay because it appeared to offer good protection from the west (and ensuing north) winds. It was a lovely, albeit small, anchorage and we were the only boat there. We anchored (not once, but twice because our chain was rubbing in a coral head at the first location) and swam in the beautiful waters. Unfortunately, Nairn Cay is separated from Raccoon Cay by a shallow opening so waves from the ocean can come through that opening on the north and around the south end of Nairn creating a surge of waves bouncing off the sides of the bay that caused the boat to pitch, dip, and roll at anchor. A small amount of motion is fine, but the wind held Gratitude’s bow enough off the direction of the surge that she rolled exceptionally – to the extent we had to hold onto our wine glasses for heaven’s sake! After a night of that, we decided to move over to Double Breasted Cay about 2 miles south. Although it is open to the north and west, it is a big expanse of water providing ample room to swing (or, heaven forbid, drag anchor) and the bottom is all sand providing excellent holding. We thought that, if Double Breasted became untenable, we could move back to Nairn as the winds clocked.
Our choice has been a good one – so far. Another boat tucked into Nairn after we left and they had to move several times to find a suitable anchorage and the crew was awake all night on anchor watch with the pitching and rolling. Meanwhile, we slept like babes in a crib with nary a drop spilled.
But, the sleep came after another long beach walk along the shores of Double Breasted Cay and, with Bess and Jim from another boat anchored here, a walk to the ocean side where we searched for and found some wonderful pieces of sea glass. We also searched for sea beans, finding innumerable of the big heart beans that we now leave behind because we have so many. Now, we are on a quest for hamburger beans! (The beans originate in Africa and the Amazon River basins and find their ways here to the Bahamas.) Our luck was with us as we found five of the hamburgers for our collection (or for jewelry making). We did not hear Jimmy Buffet, but we channeled him as best we could.
P.S. I knew I should not have written that -- we dragged anchor later in the evening and had to reset it. Lesson learned!
Comments
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Vessel Make/Model: Brewer 44 Ketch
Hailing Port: Brandon, VT
Crew: Van and Lauren
About: It is hard to believe, but this is our 7th season aboard Gratitude. It will be a short season and close to FL, but we hope to relax, enjoy the time, being on the water, and each other. Come along.
Extra: Live it while you can.

2015 Cruise

Who: Van and Lauren
Port: Brandon, VT