graynorth

16 September 2014 | Lac-en-Coeur, Quebec
11 November 2012 | Green Turtle Cay
29 October 2012 | Ottawa
09 October 2012 | Ottawa
14 May 2012 | Ottawa, Canada
23 April 2012 | Echo Drive
18 March 2012 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay
08 March 2012 | Hopetown Harbour
04 March 2012 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2012 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay
08 January 2012 | Abacos Bahamas
27 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
26 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
22 December 2011 | Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
19 December 2011 | Marsh Harbour
17 December 2011 | Marsh Harbour
14 December 2011 | Hopetown Harbour
13 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
04 December 2011 | Abacos Bahamas
02 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas

More fun!

03 December 2009 | Black Sound on GTC
85F, blue skies.... not a cloud in sight!
Well, the wind is blowing from the south at 20-25mph so we probably could have easily stayed on anchor.

Regardless, it's smoother sleeping in a protected harbour, and I've taken the opportunity to tear apart my Onan generator to fix the problem with not starting.

Working on this thing is much worse than an English sports car! Imagine a tiny Japanese diesel engine, surrounded by a sound-proof metal box, stuffed in a remote corner of the bottom of the boat, with the only access possible achieved by laying on your stomach, reaching forward into the darkness, groping for small metric bolts..... lot's of fun.

The repair job involves decoupling the entire generator, shifting it (~300lbs) sideways 2" to be able to undue the 8 bolts of the sound proof cover, remove the oil filter, and thread a 13mm socket past the fuel pump to access the two bolts which secure the starter.

Having removed the starter, I now need to disassemble it to grease it, and the bolts snap upon attempting it. Off to the marina to search for replacement bolts (8MM - 4" long).

It turns out that the starter was rusted, and the power cable to it was completely corroded. You cannot see the cable until you remove the starter.

Rebuilt the starter, purchase new cable from local marina, wire-brush and paint entire bottom end of generator, and order new starter from US to be delivered to Ottawa so that Anne-marie can bring it with her at Christmas.

While I await the paint to dry before the re-assembly Louise jumps on her bicycle and heads off to the ocean for a long swim/shower and relax on the beach.

Salt water is very corrosive, and I'll need to take a close look at all metal/electrical items on board... once things start to go, they go really fast.
Another lesson learned!

The freighter from WPB arrived this morning, two days late, while waiting for a weather window to make the crossing. I'm happy we were able to cross according to schedule.

Last night we enjoyed attending a wonderful "full moon party" on the beach at Green Turtle Cay, with several new friends and a few old ones. A lovely evening watching the big red ball rise out of the ocean!

glen
Comments
Vessel Name: Graynorth
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
Crew: Louise Simonson
About: My best friend, lover and wife!