graynorth

16 September 2014 | Lac-en-Coeur, Quebec
11 November 2012 | Green Turtle Cay
29 October 2012 | Ottawa
09 October 2012 | Ottawa
14 May 2012 | Ottawa, Canada
23 April 2012 | Echo Drive
18 March 2012 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay
08 March 2012 | Hopetown Harbour
04 March 2012 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
22 January 2012 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay
08 January 2012 | Abacos Bahamas
27 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
26 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
22 December 2011 | Elbow Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
19 December 2011 | Marsh Harbour
17 December 2011 | Marsh Harbour
14 December 2011 | Hopetown Harbour
13 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas
04 December 2011 | Abacos Bahamas
02 December 2011 | Hopetown on Elbow Cay, Bahamas

A wonderful day in the ocean

16 February 2010 | Hopetown Harbour
Cool (60F) with rain and completely overcast
It seems that the month is February has been a continuous series of northern fronts blasting down from Canada. The cold air arrives, is slowly heated by the normal warm weather, the warm air rises, and more cold air rushes down to fill the low pressure spot.

We awoke yesterday to cool weather but little if any wind. Another cold front is expected today with 25-30 knots of wind, so we decided to stay put, and explore the local area.

With the calm winds, we jumped into our dinghy, as did our immediate neighbours from Montreal, and the two dinghies headed out to a wonderful reef about 2 miles off-shore. Rather impressive motoring into the rollers in a small inflatable boat heading out towards crashing waves braking over the reef. We anchored on the lee of the reef in 8' of water and spent an hour exploring one of the most beautiful reefs in the world. The colours, fish, topology was breathtaking. The fact that both Louise and I have shorty wetsuits and prescription lenses in our masks really made it very comfortable, and the presence of a second dinghy was also comforting in the event of any mechanical problems.

Back on board I completed the task of scraping ALL of the varnish off of the exterior of the boat and coating the teak wood with tung oil. The wood looks fantastic, and I'll never have to sand and varnish another piece of wood.... wonderful news!

Cool, windy weather is expected for the remainder of the week, so it's a perfect excuse to relax, enjoy the fresh lobster and prawns, do some more reading, and enjoy the deserted beaches..... a great way to spend February.

I hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics.... I only get the updates on CBC via Sirius satellite radio, but it sounds like things are unfolding as they should...... quite the spectacle!

Have fun!

glen
Comments
Vessel Name: Graynorth
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
Crew: Louise Simonson
About: My best friend, lover and wife!