Bookmark and Share
Further South!
Amazing weather...we're hoping for a cloudy day with rain... not yet!
03/01/2011, Rock Sound, Eleuthera

We spent a lovely couple of days in Hatchet Bay, did the laundry, had wonderful dinners at The Front Porch restaurant (wonderful stone crab), and with a continuing east wind, sailed south to Governor's Harbour where we spent five days revisiting our former haunts.... much has changed! Funny how 35 years can do that. Another day sail down to Ten Bay Beach for some spear fishing and beach walking, then a glorious sail south in 20-25 knots on the beam all the way to Rock Sound. We got the boat speed up to 8 knots with reefed jib and main, and it was a wonderful ride... makes you appreciate the boat design in terms of sailing performance. Today was 2 loads of laundry, a visit to some of the local shops, more fuel for the dinghy and getting ready for four days of heavy weather scheduled to arrive in a couple of days. We'll stay put until the wind settles, and then start back north to the Abacos hoping to arrive in time for Louise's birthday (March 21st). There is no rush, and still lots to explore!

03/01/2011 | Hanny and Andre
Good to have some news again. We looked Rock Sound up on Google Earth. Looks like a nice protected harbour. Here everything fine, got 20cm of snow yesterday. Love, Andre and Hanny
Alive and Well!
Sunny and windy!
02/19/2011, Hatchet Bay, Eleuthera

Sailed through the Current Cut with the help of a local dolphin and then headed south east into 15-20 knots of wind.... as tight hauled as I could be. We arrived at Hatchet Bay at 2:00pm, and entered the tiny opening at the harbour mouth to find a wonderful safe place to spend a couple of days exploring.
The adventure continues....

02/22/2011 | Bruce & Linda
Glad you made it back to nostalgia-land! We are just back from Colombia. La Boquilla (Cartagena) beach where we stayed is a haven for kite surfing. We saw up to 25 in the air at once. Decided I'm too old for that.
Current Cut
12 knots of wind from the east
02/19/2011, Current Cut

We've had a great time beachcombing and relaxing in the Spanish Wells area, and sailed down to the west side of current cut where we spent the night off of a beautiful sand beach. We walked into the small settlement and talked to some of the locals... a very small community with one store, no restaurants, bars, etc. and many hurricane damaged buildings and deserted automobiles... not much going on. We walked back to our nice beach via the cut. This is a 60' wide opening which traverses the north tip of Eleuthera. The tide was falling and the water was rushing out of the Exuma Sound at 10-15knots....not the place for a sailboat! We'll leave this morning at high tide (10:30am) when the current is at the minimum level, and sail south for a couple of hours to GregoryTown where we hope to anchor... deep water but probably OK.

02/26/2011 | Patti
We're looking to get through Current Cut in the next couple days - after reading this I might be rethinking the path - the currents run faster than our boat - yikes!

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]