Drew and Des' Greek Island Adventure

Follow Drew and Despina on latest our sailing adventure in the Ionian.

23 June 2016 | Corfu
05 July 2015 | Vathi, Kalimnos Greece
01 July 2015
29 June 2015 | Kaliminos
29 June 2015 | Pserimos Greece
28 June 2015 | Kos
26 June 2015 | Gouvia Corfu Greece
25 June 2015 | Paxos Greece
25 June 2015
22 June 2015
22 June 2015 | Gaios Harbor , Paxi
14 June 2015 | Nicosia, Cyprus

Sailing to Pserimos and Kalymnos

29 June 2015 | Pserimos Greece
Wow, what a great feeling to finally (!) get the sails up and actually sail! We left our berth at Kos Marina around 0830 this morning and headed up the Kos channel toward Pserimos, a small and mostly barren island in the Dodecanese. After we had cleared Ammoglossa, the long and very shallow cape that has entrapped many a first-timer, we unfurled the main (furling sails are the best!) and set the jib to catch the 14 knot NW wind that's a constant in these waters. Almost instantly we were heeled and doing 7 knots over the bottom, very respectable for the lightish ( in these waters) breeze and course over to Pserimos harbor.
As we closed on Pserimos we caught sight of what looked like an armada of day "trippers"' full to the gunwales with tourists and those looking for a quick swim in the warm East Aegean. Finding a spot to anchor without encroaching on the trippers was challenging, but we did manage to squeeze in with depth just ok at 5.4 meters (it's shallow in these waters folks). Des and I had just enough time to enjoy a brunch of fresh bread, hallumi cheese, local salami, and of course fresh tomatoes and feta, before we had to pull out to escape the now departing trippers who slow for no one. Ok, on to Kalimnos!
Comments
Vessel Name: Blue Swan
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sea Odyssey 43
Hailing Port: Corfu
Crew: Drew, Despina, Roy, Dimitra
About: This blog is the story of Drew and Despina's Greek Islands adventure, where we'll sail from Corfu in the Ionian, and then from Kos in the Dodecanese.
Extra: We're sailing with another nice couple, Roy and Dimitra, who live the good life in Athens.
Blue Swan's Photos - Main
9 Photos
Created 5 July 2015
The island of Artemis
2 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
10 Photos
Created 29 June 2015
3 Photos
Created 22 June 2015
3 Photos
Created 6 June 2015
The first leg of our adventure
No Photos
Created 6 June 2015
Our "warm up" week in Cyprus
7 Photos
Created 6 June 2015