S/V Grizabella

Brain droppings of the boatstruck

Don't Call me Ishmael

Who: Anyone I can convince to come along with me
Port: Mathews, VA
01 March 2011
01 March 2011
01 March 2011
01 March 2011
01 March 2011
01 March 2011 | Henrico County, VA
26 January 2011 | Deltaville, VA
26 January 2011 | Richmond, VA
09 January 2011 | Deltaville, VA
14 December 2010
28 November 2010 | Mouth of the Piankatank River
21 October 2010
21 October 2010 | Mouth of the Piankatank River
12 October 2010 | Antipoison Creek/Little Bay, VA
16 September 2010 | Kinsale, VA to Mathews, VA
19 August 2010 | Western Henrico, Virginia

Bottomless

01 March 2011
Sunday, January 30 - the work of disassembling the engine continued...
First I figured I'd lighten the load up a bit by removing the reversing gear housing and the reversing gear.



Once the cover is off, the whole reversing gear assembly lifts right out, leaving a big empty space at the back end of the oil pan.


I set the assembly aside in a box for safe keeping.


I borrowed one of my neighbor's engine stands and he helped me get the block mounted on the stand.



That made it much easier to remove the oil pan (that's a big heavy sucker, too!).


Which left the engine with a naked bottom!


The really nice thing about the engine stand is how it allows you to easily flip the engine over.


Which made it easy to remove the valves.


I ran out to WalMart and bought a bunch of cheap Glad containers to keep everything organized.


I'm also putting small parts (like all the nuts and bolts and stuff) into Ziploc bags and writing on them with a Sharpie to identify where they go.

Comments
Vessel Name: Grizabella
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson Wanderer 30
Hailing Port: Mathews, VA
Crew: Anyone I can convince to come along with me
About: Family, friends, acquaintances. No sailing experience necessary! (It hasn't stopped me).
Extra: I am a hard-core do-it-yourselfer. Woodworking, metalworking, carpentry, sheetrock, trim and finish work, plumbing, wiring, roofing. I've got more tools than brains. And unlike my brains sometimes, I actually know how to use the tools!

Don't Call me Ishmael

Who: Anyone I can convince to come along with me
Port: Mathews, VA