Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Sting in the tail

14 July 2013 | North Sea/Levington
On the day of our departure, the weather was pants. Dark, grey skies and a stiff breeze (20kts – NNE). Even though it had only just gone six, Robert was already around. We made our final goodbyes and cast off.

Once in open waters we were once again met by short, steep seas. Lots of rolling and pitching. I went down below to fix some breakfast and I was nauseous within minutes. And I haven’t been seasick in donkey’s years.
In these seas, sailing close to the wind became nigh on impossible with help from the engine. Even with the engine the autopilot struggled to keep us on course and average SOG dropped to just below 5kts. There now followed a couple of hours where the thought foremost in my mind was; ‘Why didn’t I just take up snooker’.

All good things come to an end. Fortunately, all bad things come to an end too. When Westhinder Anchorage came into view we were sailing once again. The TSS towards Antwerp was extremely busy, and I was kept busy dodging freighters for quite a while. Once clear of Westhinder, sea state improved and the sun put in an appearance once in a while. I just watched the world go by for much of the rest of the trip.

By the time we reached Cork Sands the wind had veered East. The run dead downwind to Landguard was very ‘rolly’ and slow, so I thought it would be good idea to fire up the engine once again. A good idea it might have been, but the engine refused to play ball. Turned the key and the engine went: bop-bop-bop... and then nothing... . Tried again, but the result remained the same. Bugger! Fule gauge well into the red. Either we had run out or, much more likely, the crud at the bottom of the tank had clogged the fuel filters. A distinct possibility given the lumpy passage.

Panicked (mentally) for all of 5 seconds. Then, training kicked in. We would sail into our berth, there was no other possibility. Winds would abate once we were on the river and as the wind direction was predominately easterly sailing into our berth was doable.

Radioed ahead to inform the marina that we would be sailing in but they had already shut up shop for the night. Initial recce through binos lead me to believe that there was a boat in our berth but I could not be sure.

Sailed on with one reef in the main and two in the genoa. Pushing the last of the ebb, progress was slow but I needed the time to get (mentally) prepared. Arrived at the SYH fairway buoy at HW-1 and entered the narrow channel towards the marina with some trepidation. Dropped the main when we got to the seawall and turned hard to port. There was indeed a boat in our berth (with our luck that day, there just had to be) but at least there were people on board and they caught on pretty quickly that we had no engine. We let fly the genoa to slow the boat and a kind soul took our lines. Bar a minor scuffmark all went well. It’s reassuring to find that I can still do the things I was trained to do way back in the Stone Age. Packed and went home. Tired but relieved.

I’m working this week, so next week I’ll attempt to service the engine (another first) with the help of my youngest and refuel. Hopefully, that’s all what’s needed as the boat kitty funds are otherwise depleted. Fingers crossed and hope for the best.

PS: I've also uploaded some more pictures to the Summer 2013 gallery.
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009