Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Frustration, boredom, panic and relief

09 August 2008 | Ramsgate
Still pitch dark out when we rose. 05H00? There is no such time. But there was, and we were setting sail. Low pressure to the left of them, low pressure to the right of them - into the valley of death sailed Guapa. Or so it seemed.

Eerily calm out. Gone were the heavy, steep seas of yesterday. Glassy sea and hardly any wind to speak of. No more the five or six knots. Main up and engine going. Tide has already been running north for about an hour, so we made good speed. Then off Cap Gris Nez... cough, cough and splutter, splutter. Then nothing. The engine refused to budge. Like last year, crud in the fuel filter again. Argh!! About one mile off the TSS - perfect timing.

Unfurl genoa, and let's look for some wind. And someone must have taken pity on us. As if by magic 12kts appeared from the SW. I promised to burn a candle to the patron saint of sailors looking for wind. It was by no means a fast crossing, but it was a safe crossing.

Off Dover we headed north, and the wind had backed a bit to the SSW. Speed dropped to 4kts over the ground. Bugger. Ferries left, right and centre. What's half a mile between friends? Close encounters of the ferry kind. Up to Ramsgate, Goodwin Channel. It was slow going, but we were getting there.

About 3 miles off, the wind picked up: 6kts, 12kts, 19kt, 27kts... in the space of less than a minute! Talk about an adrenaline rush. How fast can you reef? The old girl rounded up, not once but twice. Bringing her about took all I had. Still, we got to about half a mile of the entrance. Then, the lights went red - approaching ferry. Not at all what we needed. Genoa now completely furled; the main took care of us. What's that? South cardinal! Fuck! Bring her about. She didn't respond. Start engine. It won't. Try again. Slowly the engine spluttered, and then kicked over. Phew.

Let's get that main down. Into the wind. Closer. I can't keep her any closer into the wind. Get that sail down. Pull it. Stacked and secured. Let's hope that engine keeps going. Port Control: permission in please. Permission granted. Calm down people; prepare all lines, port and starboard. Fenders over the side.

Once inside - still blustery - where to park the boat? All the berths on the inside of the western breakwater were taken. Plenty available on the outside; only snag - the wind (still gusting over 30kts) kept blowing us off. Then, a thing I dread: 'helpful' hands ashore. And Brigitte and Evita had thrown them a line. You know they mean well, but you never know what they'll do. Some shouting, some confusion... It wasn't pretty, but it ended OK.

Off to the marina office. What do you mean, we can't stay there? Ramsgate Week? Reserved? The eastern breakwater? You've got to be joking - no water, no electricity and stuck in the mud half the time. Eventually I was allowed to pick a berth (alongside) in the inner marina. Good call. All the amenities and more sheltered. Four o'clock and we were in there. We'd swing her round to get out tomorrow.

And now: Ramsgate routine. First call - Pizza Express. Take it from there. Yanni had hooked up with his local friend Jordan in no time. Evita lived on her mobile - boyfriend on the other end. Read a bit, had a drink... The usual.

Next day, very blustery; winds in the high 20's, low 30's all day. And that was in the more sheltered inner marina. God only knows what it must have been like outside. A walk along the outer breakwater gave us a fair idea. We walked at a 30 degree angle at times. Plenty of foam about too.

Let's hope that predicted lull materialises tomorrow. French forecast said so (and they had really been good so far) and Belgian forecast said so. Met Office were covering their precious behind - predicting anything from a 3-4 to F8 locally. Bound to be right somewhere.

Final stretch tomorrow- SW5-6 - I think we can manage that. Another roller-coaster ride. I could almost smell home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009