Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Once again...

27 September 2008 | Ostend
Across the Channel - to Ostend. Fourth time this year. We've done it so many times now... We could sail it blindfold. Stopover en route to Antwerp.

Friday, straight after work/school we made our way to the boat. M25 was behaving itself for once, the A12 on the other hand. So, it was well past six when we arrived in Levington. Less than an hour of daylight left - no time to loose. All aboard, stow provisions, remove our pick-up line from the mooring buoy, get Brigitte back ashore, trip back to the boat, secure Guapi on the foredeck. Rush job, but we managed it just in time. Macaroni cheese dinner and off to bed - early day tomorrow.

I slept soundly for once. Alarm set for silly o'clock. No wind to speak of, so no need to raise the kids. Pitch dark and quite foggy - visibility down to less than half a mile. At least I was in familiar waters. By the container terminal the fog lifted a bit - just in time. Progress was painfully slow, fouled bottom and foul tide - four knots over the ground (less most of the time). Two and a half hours later and I was still short of Cork Sands. I texted Brigitte - we weren't going to be in Ostend any time soon.

At least I had some company now - Evita and I took turns at the helm. An hour each, then we swapped places. Routine - it works - don't mess with it. Very little wind and what there was sat firmly on the nose. Long, monotonous and boring are words that spring to mind. Flat seas, blue skies and sunshine - not all bad then. Even Yanni joined us by crack of lunch.

Once again - nothing happened, and it happened bloody slowly. The only excitement to be had - crossing the TSS. Quite busy for a Saturday. Still, nothing we haven't done lots of times before. Just when we were about to clear the TSS, a Dutch ocean going tug appeared on the horizon. Doing well in excess of 25kts, and what a wake! Three meters at least, if not more. Despite my urgings to hold on Evita was quite slow off the mark. Tidal wave swept the deck. One very wet and pissed off XO. Yanni and I nearly burst out laughing. That would not have gone down well.

We cleared the smaller Westhinder TSS by dusk. I decided to drop the main (it wasn't doing much for us anymore) and get warps and fenders in place in the last of the daylight. And then, quite suddenly - pitch dark. Stars were out 'en masse', phosphorous wake - it was beautiful. If it hadn't been for the constant and persistent drone of the engine I would have been in heaven. Played some guessing games with the kids to relieve the boredom. Quality family (minus 1) moment.

Finally, Ostend came into view. It had been a very long crossing - just short of 18 hours. Still, I had informed Robert that we were coming and he had promised to keep our berth free. Of course, by the time we got there, you guessed it, another boat in our berth. It'll be sorted in the morning. In the mean time, find another berth. The place was heaving; clearly amateur week-end as only one boat had picked up a mooring, all the others were moored alongside - three deep. Having assumed we would be alongside I hadn't prepared anything to go on a mooring buoy. There was what looked like just enough space alongside by the fish-market. Let's squeeze in there. And we did. Off to the all night chippy - another disappointment - closed for annual holiday. So we reheated leftover macaroni and cheese. Off to bed, everyone under strict orders to sleep in. It had been a long day. Maybe not that long for Yanni.

Next morning off to find Robert. Easily done - just head towards the noise. Very apologetic, friendly and helpful. Squatter had already been given his marching orders. Our one man shipyard proved more illusive - apparently because of a new girlfriend. Then I set off shopping for food. One of my favourite Ostend pastimes.

Brigitte arrived just before lunch. We tidied up and had a quick bite to eat. All secured we abandoned Guapa for a fortnight. I'll pick her up in 2 weeks and deliver her to Antwerp by way of Breskens. And that will be that for at least 6 months.

Ferry home. Not exactly the end of seasons as I had imagined it. Only two more days of - hopefully - sailing left. What will I do with myself in the mean time?
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009