Guapa: Beauty and the Sea

One family and their boat. A daydream, a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.

14 December 2016
25 May 2016 | Sainte Marine
23 May 2016 | L'Aber Wrach
21 May 2016 | Port Pendennis
19 April 2016 | Boxmoor
05 April 2016 | Northwood
28 January 2016 | Hemel Hempstead
17 December 2015 | Boxmoor
01 September 2015 | East Coast
30 July 2015 | Northwood
26 July 2015 | Northwood
01 June 2015 | Ostend/North Sea
27 May 2015
31 March 2015 | Leverstock Green
23 February 2015 | Leverstock Green
13 January 2015 | Leverstock Green
24 November 2014
14 October 2014 | Leverstock Green
19 September 2014 | Leverstock Green
15 September 2014 | Levington, River Orwell

Summer Cruise: Day 1 (good sail)

23 August 2014 | Ramsgate
DEPARTURE of ship: GUAPA
Port: Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Time: 2014-08-23 04:23 (UTC)

As usual on a first night, I was awake hours before my alarm was due to go off. Got dressed at 05H00, had a quick bite to eat and cast off. Decided to let Brigitte sleep in. One advantage of being on a mooring is that I can sail off on my own. Left Levington just as the sun rose. Foot Cliff came and went - we're out in open sea now. As usual, I planned to take the 'outside route' when crossing the Thames estuary. Having been caught out once atop a sandbank many years ago, I am now less than keen to repeat the experience. The stretch from Cork Sands to Long Sands Head was somewhat uncomfortable - wind right up the chuff and Guapa tends to roll quite a bit at that point of sail. Motorsailing it was then - just the mainsail up.

Once we rounded LSH and we started to head south, the boat's motion became much more comfortable and I unfurled the genoa. Off with the engine at last. Even Brigitte made a (brief) appearance on deck. Sun's out, blue sky, nice favourable breeze and the tide to carry us... what more could a man want or need? Boulogne s/Mer certainly was on the cards.



From time to time I went down below for a bite to eat or to check our progress on the plotter and to keep a weather eye on the NAVTEX. Progress was good, we were on track and on schedule to pass Ramsgate at 14H00. Boulogne s/Mer was certainly possible before 21H00. I always try for a daylight entry. However first indications on the NAVTEX that the weather was not what we hoped for further south in the days to come. To be monitored.



North Foreland came into view in due course. Brisk breeze an d glorious sunshine. All was well aboard - for the moment. When we were off Ramsgate the shy further south started to look ominous: dark grey/black with the occasional thunder bolt. Boat motion became livelier. Snap decision: we're heading into Ramsgate. Switched to VHF14 (Ramsgate Port Control). This also brought Brigitte on deck. Furled and stowed the sails with a minimum of fuss. Alongside before you would know it. Went up to the marina office to pay for the night and to obtain codes for the toilets/showers and the gates. What a shock to the wallet that proved to be. Must be the recession.

And, as luck would have it, blue skies again with just a hint of a breeze. Why did we come in here for? Anyway, now that we're here we might as well make the most of it.

Spent the afternoon strolling through the town. Lots of changes since we were last here - some for the better. The down centre looks like it has seen better days, the waterfront (Military Road) looks like it is on the up.

As per family tradition, we had dinner at Pizza Express. Brigitte then retired to bed early and I spent the rest of the evening socialising (how unusual). When I returned aboard, only slightly the worse for wear, I once again poured over the NAVTEX and browsed the usual weather websites on the internet. The weather for Monday looked very 'unsummerly'. Twenty knots plus headwinds and rain. I guess Normandy/Dieppe/St Valery en Caux will have to wait for another year.
Another snap decision (second one today): divert to Ostend in the morning.

Nite-nite.

ARRIVAL of ship: GUAPA
Port: RAMSGATE
Time: 2014-08-23 12:58 (UTC)
Comments
Vessel Name: Guapa
Vessel Make/Model: Kalik 44
Hailing Port: Ipswich, UK
Crew: Wim, Brigitte, Evita & Yanni
About: The Vandenbossche family
Extra: One family and their boat. It started as daydream, then a vision and now, slowly, becoming reality.
Guapa's Photos - Beauty and the Sea (Main)
1 Photo
1
Bringing Guapa home - Bruinisse lock
 
1
35 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
17 Photos
Created 20 February 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
Ostend, UK East & South Coast and Normandy
30 Photos
Created 10 August 2012
Winter sailing - UK East Coast
18 Photos
Created 9 February 2012
34 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
10 Photos
Created 17 April 2011
It's all been worth it.
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2010
The horror... The saga continues. Hull respray, new engine, and loads more (expensive) fun.
20 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Replacing a teak deck and other horror stories
25 Photos
Created 31 December 2008
The Solent, Channel Island(s) and Normandy.
21 Photos
Created 8 June 2008
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
17 Photos
Created 21 December 2007
UK South Coast, Normandy, Northern France & Belgium
40 Photos
Created 23 September 2007
A thing of beauty
7 Photos
Created 3 June 2007
Meet the crew
12 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Messing about in the Suffolk/Essex area
8 Photos
Created 27 March 2007
Running from the storm(s) - North Sea Triangle: Ramsgate - Ostend - Harwich.
6 Photos
Created 17 February 2007
Web Site Hit Counters
Visitors since Jan 1st 2009