Happiness is being on the Water

24 September 2019 | NYC
18 September 2019 | Waterford, NY
04 May 2018 | Oriental, NC
03 March 2018 | Black Point South Bay on Great Guana Cay
09 February 2018 | Hog Cay
24 January 2018 | Duncan Town
09 January 2018 | George Town, Great Exuma Island
23 December 2017 | Black Point Settlement
19 December 2017 | Palm Beach Florida
06 December 2017 | Vero Beach City Marina
27 November 2017 | Merritt Island Cocoa Beach, Florida
23 November 2017 | Marineland, Florida
19 November 2017 | Marsh Island, St. John’s River near Jacksonsville, FL.
28 May 2017 | Oriental, NC
15 April 2017 | Allans-Pensacola
05 April 2017 | Lynyard Cay
20 March 2017 | Salt Pond, Long Island, Bahamas
14 March 2017 | George Town, Bahamas
23 February 2017 | George Town, 🇧🇸

Black Point and Between the Majors

06 February 2016 | Between the Majors
Sunny, 78, Winds SE 5-10
We left Cambridge Cay on Saturday, January 30th with sunny skies and a brisk easterly wind and headed south to Black Point Settlement on Great Guana Cay. It was a nice leisurely sail into the anchorage at Black Point Settlement. When we got there it was time to do something we had not done in a month which was laundry. While at the laundromat I met a nice couple Amy and Rex off of the s/v Xtesea. While we were talking, I realized the other couple doing their laundry, were people Ron and I met at Christmas in Stuart Florida. Their names are Jerry and Donna from the cat Bluejacket. I had fun catching up with them while Ron started filling the five gallon water jugs to fill our water tanks. A hundred and thirty gallons later they were filled. To thank the community of Black Point Settlement for the water, Ron went to the police station and made a donation to the school's music program. Ron is hoping to be able to bring some instruments and supplies to the school next year. They are in dire need of instruments and supplies to keep their music program going. It was nice to take a run on the roads of Black Point Settlement. You could run until the road ended and then turn around and go back. The running route was very different from our routes at home. The roads are hilly and it is very hot. Oh well, I guess it is better than not running at all. Grocery shopping at Black Point Settlement was very interesting. The main store is off of the owner's house and about the size of a two car garage. The can goods and dry foods are on shelves, the vegetables are in baskets, the meats and cheeses are in a regular kitchen refrigerator, and the frozen meats are in a lift top freezer. The prices are double of what they are in the States. This is due to having to ship the goods to the Islands on the mail boat. A couple of days later we went around the point into Little Bay where we had the bay to ourselves and did some exploring of the sandy beach and then went snorkeling. Later during the afternoon four other sailboats joined us in the anchorage. That evening the wind picked up and changed direction to a little south of east which made it a little rolly, so the next day we decided to go back to our previous anchorage off from Black Point Settlement. To our surprise we were able to anchor in the exact spot we left the day before. However now there were approximately 40 boats in the anchorage compared to 20 when we left the day before.

On Thursday, February 4th we traveled back north to an anchorage between Big and Little Majors where we plan to stay while sitting out the next cold front and its subsequent high westerlies. This is a spot that was recommended by Mat and Marty who are friends of Lori and Gordon, our dock mates back in Chaumont. We were the first boat to anchor here on Thursday. There are now 20 boats here in the anchorage with us on Saturday afternoon in anticipation of the cold front that is due to arrive sometime during the night. We have been enjoying our stay here while running, shopping and snorkeling. We also have had the opportunity to check out the airport where Erica, Robert and the boys will be landing next Saturday to spend the week with us. We are so excited they are coming. We have been scoping out all of the anchorages we want to share with them from Black Point which is a classic Bahamian community to Cambridge Cay one of the beautiful islands in the Exuma Land and Sea Park.

Hopefully, the cold front won't be too strong and Ron will be able to dinghy in to the Staniel Cay Yacht Club for the Super Bowl Party.

Deb
Comments
Vessel Name: Scheherazade
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 42'/ 1984
Hailing Port: Chaumont, NY
Crew: Ron and Deb Kurtz
About:
Ron is a retired instrumental music teacher. He has been sailing since he was a young man (1970) on Lake Ontario in Henderson Harbor, NY. His dream has always been to own his own sailboat and anchor it in Henderson Harbor. Well, that dream has come true. [...]
Extra: The S/V Scheherazade's home port is Chaumont Bay in Chaumont, NY. Scheherazade is now on her way back from the Bahamas for the summer months.
Social:
Scheherazade 's Photos - Main
Locking through the Locks Erie Canal and Mohawk River
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
Scheherazade anchored out in front of Jerry and Donna’s house
5 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 19 November 2017
Putting Mast up.
4 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
2nd Trip to the Bahamas
2 Photos | 12 Sub-Albums
Created 31 August 2016
This is our first trip to the Bahamas
14 Photos | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2015