Tim and Cath's most excellent adventure

Day8: preview of tame Galapagos wildlife aboard HM

26 March 2013
Still 350 miles to go - hoping to be in by Saturday. We've been close-hauled into a very light SSW-erly for the past 2 days and haven't touched a sheet. The favourable current has helped a lot because our speed through the water has been low and not entirely in the tight direction!

However, the wind has freshened a little (must be 7 or 8 knots by now!) and has begun to free off as per forecast. Set to be round to E-erly (which will push us along nicely) by Thursday, and a full 10 knots by then!

Our 2 tame friends are red-footed boobies, making a preening stop on our bow while out fishing from the Galapagos. Cath and I were both sitting right next to them on the foredeck and they were entirely unconcerned. Although they are offshore sea-birds, they nest in trees on the Galapagos - hence their ability to grip our pulpit with their webbed but prehensile red feet.

PS: they're still both there - I can hear them bickering with each other through the forehatch. They seem to be getting glamm'd up for a party back onshore tonight!

PPS: Jane - don't worry, it's the blue footed boobies whose chicks have the nasty nest habits. The red-footers only lay one egg (they must have seen what asbo chicks do to the other one!)
Comments
Vessel Name: Helena May
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 38
Extra:
We completed an Atlantic circuit in our yacht "Ragamuffin of Gosport", a Nicholson 31, in 1987/8. Since then, we have sailed together with our children along both sides of the Channel coast. We bought our current boat, "Helena May", a Bavaria 38, in 2003. We have spent the last couple of years [...]