S/V Hello Texas

12 March 2016 | Grenada
12 March 2016 | Carriacou
12 March 2016 | Carriacou
29 February 2016 | Union Island
29 February 2016 | Union Island
29 February 2016 | Union Island
17 February 2016 | Tobago Cays, Grenadines
15 February 2016 | Bequia
15 February 2016 | Bequia
15 February 2016 | Bequia
10 February 2016 | St Lucia
09 February 2016 | St Lucia
09 February 2016 | St Lucia
09 February 2016 | St Lucia
08 February 2016 | St Lucia
08 February 2016 | St Lucia
08 February 2016 | Martinique
08 February 2016 | Martinique
08 February 2016 | Martinique
08 February 2016 | Martinique

Easting the southern coast of Puerto Rico

08 May 2015 | Fajardo, PR
Nicki
Going east this time was year is not easy! The trade winds from the east, sizable waves, and a two knot current all on the bow make for slow, aggravating, and sometimes an uncomfortable go of it.

Once we rounded the SW corner of PR that is what we had every day. We managed to make small passages, taking twice as long as it should. In most cases, 2 knots was our average maximum speed. That's using the engine! We did a lot of short tacking back and forth in order not to get out too far from shore to avoid the stronger winds. We also traveled mostly in the wee hours of the mornings while winds were lighter. The current was our biggest nemesis. We learned we had to stay not close to shore, but very close to shore to avoid it.

On the upside, we found several good anchorages. La Parguera, Cayos de Cana Gorda AKA Gilligan's Island, Cabo Cabezes, Salinas, Bahia de Jobos, Patillas. After Giligan's Island we made a fuel stop in Ponce. Cause we sure as hell weren't just sailing! We stayed anywhere from one to four days at the various anchorages. A few proved to be be disappointing as far as the land offerings. Only because much of what the guide book declared to be, was no longer. But C'est La Vie!

While in Salinas we rented a car and did some land touring. We visited marinas first hand to decide where we would put Hello Texas for hurricane season. We drove the rest of the southern coast to see what was still ahead of us and scoped out some anchorages. We saw some beautiful landscapes, museums, shopping and of course the obligatory ice cream shops.

After Patillas, we finally got some calm weather and we made the longest hop to Vieques Island. Approximately 30 miles, give or take. We made average speed of 5 knots and made it in the appropriate six hours. It felt good. We were beginning to think Hello Texas was broke! Or maybe we weren't meant to be in the Caribbean! It was 20 days since we left Boqueron. Too many days of weariness will do that to a person.

After an enjoyable day of snorkeling and a pleasant night we motor sailed a short distance NW to Fajardo. We went in a few days early to our chosen marina. It has gotten hot, and we are very happy to plug in and turn the A/C on!
Comments
Vessel Name: Hello Texas
Vessel Make/Model: Kadey-Krogen 38' Cutter
Hailing Port: Fort Worth, Texas
Crew: Richard & Nicki
About: Just us.

Who: Richard & Nicki
Port: Fort Worth, Texas