Next Verse

09 January 2013 | Port Canaveral, FL
13 November 2012 | Key West, FL
26 October 2012 | Key West, FL
16 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
10 October 2012 | Key Largo, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 October 2012 | Cocoa Beach, FL
04 October 2012 | New Smyrna Beach, FL
03 October 2012 | St Augustine
01 October 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
30 August 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
25 August 2012 | Isle of Hope, GA
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC

Inside Trip and Repairs

27 September 2011 | Jacksonville, FL
Mike
After a quiet dinner on Saturday night, we turned in early. We got up Sunday morning feeling better rested and walked out to get breakfast before heading out. Dave had his first order of grits after 65 years on the planet and was the talk of the restaurant. The other waitress, the cook and the owner all came by to ask how he liked them. As it turns out, he did and all was well.

We walked back to the marina where we watched Sportscenter for a while before shoving off. This time, we stayed in the ICW and headed to Beach Marine in the Atlantic Beach area of Jacksonville. Here I met up with friends Don, Patty, Charlie, Laurie and Debbie. They happened to be coming to the restaurant at the marina to celebrate the birthday of a friend.

Don is also a sailor and was able to find someone who could fix my headsail. Monday morning, Dave and I removed the sail and bagged it up. Don picked us up and we took the sail to drop it off. In the mean time, I was able to order a replacement raw water strainer for my air conditioner, as the old one was in very poor condition. Fortunately, the girl at Beach Marine said they could get it in the next day. Cool!

My run of good luck continued as I was able to reach my Uncle Joe and Aunt Jan from St. Simon's Island, Georgia. (You longtime readers will recall them from previous posts.) They were kind enough to drive down and meet Dave and I for dinner a the marina. Its always great to visit with them again.

Tuesday morning, my friend Don brought my expertly repaired sail to the boat and picked Dave up to take him to the airport. I was sorry to see him leave. In anticipation of spending the next several days either anchoring or mooring out, I launched my dinghy, aired it up and put the motor on it. After that, I started and ran the outboard for awhile. I then rigged up the line for towing the dinghy behind the boat.

While I was doing a weeks worth of laundry, I got the headsail back on and furled. As I write this, I'm waiting for word of the arrival of my water strainer at which time I will depart for St. Augustine.
Comments
Vessel Name: Norma Fay
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 386
Hailing Port: Racine, Wisconsin
Crew: Mike Miller
About: I recently retired from the trop-rock band the "Boat Drunks" and I'm going sailing. Heading through the Eastern Great Lakes, down the ICW and to the Bahamas for starters. Then...We'll see!

Norma Fay

Who: Mike Miller
Port: Racine, Wisconsin