Next Verse

09 January 2013 | Port Canaveral, FL
13 November 2012 | Key West, FL
26 October 2012 | Key West, FL
16 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
13 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
12 October 2012 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, FL
10 October 2012 | Key Largo, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
09 October 2012 | Ft Lauderdale, FL
05 October 2012 | Cocoa Beach, FL
04 October 2012 | New Smyrna Beach, FL
03 October 2012 | St Augustine
01 October 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
30 August 2012 | Jacksonville, FL
25 August 2012 | Isle of Hope, GA
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC
21 August 2012 | Charleston, SC

Delaware Bay

22 September 2008 | Bear, DE
Mike
We entered Delaware bay and found it glass-flat, which, from what I read is not the rule but rather the exception. In the shipping channel there was a constant parade of monster container ships, barges and tankers going to and from the Delaware River and the C & D Canal that connects the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake. Hence "C & D" Canal.

We followed the channel, staying outside the markers and thus out from under the monsters. About two-thirds of the way up the bay, we began to experience an adverse current due to the ebbing tide.

Our speed over ground kept dropping until it was about cut in half. Consequently we were still on the bay when the sun set. It was a beautiful sunset but now we got to contend with the current, the monsters, and the narrowing of the bay into the Delaware River and still more adverse current on a dark, moonless night.

If you think navigating around ships that are city blocks long is scary in the daylight, try it when you can only see their running lights....and you're HOPING that they see yours. Well this had our full attention for the next several hours.

We entered the C & D Canal and were almost to our destination. The Canal has several fixed bridges the are over 100 feet high and one low railroad lift bridge that only closes when a train comes. This was right before our marina and guess what... a train came! So we had to tread water for about 15 minutes before continuing on.

We arrived safely and gratefully at the Summit View Marina in Bear Delaware at 0100 in the morning. After briefly grounding, (the tide was going out) we managed to get docked and it was time for margaritas.

Here's a pic of the sunset on the Delaware Bay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Norma Fay
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 386
Hailing Port: Racine, Wisconsin
Crew: Mike Miller
About: I recently retired from the trop-rock band the "Boat Drunks" and I'm going sailing. Heading through the Eastern Great Lakes, down the ICW and to the Bahamas for starters. Then...We'll see!

Norma Fay

Who: Mike Miller
Port: Racine, Wisconsin