The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Civilization

28 October 2009 | Bundaberg, Australia
Author: Seth
Picture: Elizabeth about to drive on the left side of the road for the first time. Ah, one of the many new excitements of Australia.

Our approach to Australia was markedly different than that of an island nation in the south pacific. Our first give away that we were approaching a new continent were the numerous tankers cruising up and down the coast (one of which we had to kindly request to alter course). We hadn't seen this many container ships since Panama!

But the real give away that we had finally reached a 1st world nation was the massive, red and white, "Coast Watch" airplane that buzzed our mast a good 200 miles off-shore. They hailed our boat name on VHF 16 to ask the usual questions of how many people were on board and where we had come from, but in typical Aussie behavior the conversation was very relaxed and almost cheerful, with it ending in a heartfelt welcoming to his home country. Talk about service!

Upon arrival we encountered a highly professional and proficient Quarantine, Customs and Immigration system. While everyone told us that Australia would be a nightmare to check into, we found it one of our easiest yet. Although they did rummage through everything looking for guns, drugs and termites (and they did confiscate our homemade pizza and popcorn kernels), they did allow us to keep our now amazing shell collection and were off the boat within 1 hour. And since they all came to us at one time, it was one of the easiest entries into a country yet. If you come to Australia by boat, enter through Bundenburg because we found the team very professional and kind. Elizabeth even chatted it up with the girls for good shopping places, spas, doctors, you name it!

My last show of reaching the modern world was found in the Marina bathroom (of all places). When I went to wash my hands I turned on the faucet and nearly burned my hands from the scorching hot water that came out! It was the first time I had noticed it, but hot water was never something available in a public bathroom in the South Pacific, and if it was available it was going to take a very long time for it to get to the faucet. The encounter made me laugh; we had finally made it to Australia and the modern world.

Well, kind of. They do still drive on the wrong side of the road...
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA