The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Queensland Wrap-Up

08 December 2009 | Port Stephans, New South Wales, Australia
Author: Seth
Picture: New anchorage drinks aboard Honeymoon (just before the 180 degree wind shift that turned this peaceful anchorage into a lee shore).

Although Brisbane may be looked down upon by Sydney-ites, Elizabeth and I certainly warmed to the place. It's filled with parks and public use spaces (including climbing walls, public pools, beaches and gardens with electric BBQs everywhere - how Australian!). But it was also great to meet up with old friends that now call this wonderful city home. We had an excellent sushi dinner with Suzzie, a good friend I met years ago while backpacking in Peru. Then Richard and Laura, friends from Grad School, invited us to their home for a traditional porch side BBQ out in the suburbs. And finally, Tom and Emma, two more friends from England, invited us to their beach side home in Currumbin, a surfing destination on the Gold Coast. And as you can imagine, they didn't have to twist our arms to make us join them.

But then it was time to pay them back for their hospitality and Tom and Emma joined us for a two day journey down the coast to Surfer's Paradise (a seaside town that could be compared to Daytona Beach, but with more skyscrapers). We promised them a joyous cruise, filled with peaceful anchorages, but Peel Island had something else in mind for us. Just as we were going to sleep the wind shifted 180 degrees and put us on a lee shore and with growing seas. We made a run for more protected waters in the dark and were thankful when we finally picked up a mooring ball a good three hours later. Exhausted, we went to bed and all slept like rocks.

Our second day was also eventful, with shallow anchorages everywhere and the near threat of spending the night aground in the mud with an ebbing tide (like our friends on Nemesis almost did) we eventually made it to safety in a beautiful marina just north of Surfer's Paradise. Surely Tom and Emma thought we were mad for taking all these risks, but we tried to reassure them that it was not always this way.

From Surfers we began our final off-shore push. Although still a good 400 miles away, our destination now was Sydney with a few stops in between. Much like the US, it's easy to forget just how big this continent really is and we pushed ourselves to keep going overnight in order to put more of the final leg behind us.

We stopped after 32 hours in Port Macquire, a small seaside town located south of Byron Bay. With the wind still out of the northeast we departed early the next day for Forster, where we tied up to a riverside dock next to all the local fishing boats. Honeymoon was certainly out of her element, so we pushed on again the very next day and have finally arrived in Port Stephans, a bay even larger than Sydney's and just 80 miles to the north. With any luck, we'll be in Broken Bay by the end of the day tomorrow and in Sydney in a week...
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA