The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Sydney to Hobart

29 December 2009 | Sydney, NSW, Australia
Author: Seth
Picture: The start of the Sydney to Hobart Sailboat Race, where the boat ICAP crossed the line first. Despite the terrible conditions, it was a spinnaker start on the line and Elizabeth (in blue) and my Mom (in yellow) were out to witness it...

We had a great Christmas week with my family on board. In total, we sailed around the bay, opened presents moored in a national park, saw a show at the Opera House, visited the Art Gallery of New South Whales and went to many amazing fine restaurants. But the highlight of the week had to have been witnessing the start of the Sydney to Hobart sailboat race.

If you know anything about sailboat racing, you know about the 630 mile race from Sydney to Hobart. For those of you unfamiliar, it can only be described as the pinnacle of off-shore racing. Hundreds of boats participate, including some of the world's fastest and most expensive yachts. There is usually a North American entry or two, but this is mostly all about Australia versus New Zealand, and down here they take their sailboat racing very seriously.

The favored (and local favorite) was an Australian Maxi Yacht (100 feet long) called Wild Oats XI. This particular boat won the race the past four years and were the strong favorite for this year's race, but it wasn't meant to be as the New Zealand favorite (Alfa Romeo) crushed them and took line honors.

Aboard Honeymoon, we watched the chaos ensue. No further than 50 meters past the starting line, we sat defending our position on the line between two massive passenger ferrys and a few smaller water taxis as we watched the start. Then, as soon as the fleet of hundreds past the starting line we were off, racing at full speed with all the spectator boats toward the harbor entrance where the racing yachts were headed. It was a sport unto itself, avoiding collisions in order to see who took the lead.

Despite Alfa Romeo's daring strategy to cut in front of the pack before the official start, it was the maxi boat ICAP that crossed the starting line first, claiming starting honors over the two favorites. But Alfa Romeo was second, and Wild Oats third. As they passed the starting line, all the boats hoisted their spinnakers, making for a colorful start despite the rain.

It was a great thing to witness, and was certainly a highly of the week. If not the year...
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA