The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

New Mast Car

01 December 2008 | Nanny Cay Marina, Tortola, BVIs
Author: Seth
Day: 88
Pic: A bearded self portrait at the top of the mast.
Google Earth Position: 18 25.476N, 64 37.112W

As outlined on Day 9 of our passage, many things broke on our voyage south. Once "The Moms" left we hunkered down in Nanny Cay Marina on the south side of Tortola to get our boat back into shape.

The most immediate concern was the broken mast car. Both Davis Murray and I had been hoisted to the top of the 60 foot mast to inspect the track, which appeared to have some scaring. Thankfully we (he) concluded that a new mast car with a different height for the halyard attachment would allow the car to sit on a clean part of the track, thus eliminating the need to take the entire mast off the boat. What could have been a several thousand-dollar repair turner out to be only $130. This was by far the best news we had heard in weeks.

Although elated by the cheaper fix to the problem, I was thoroughly disappointed to find two additional mast car pins in the boat's spare parts bin. This indicated that the problem wasn't a new one, it had definitely occurred before. While I was relieved to know that we had not actually caused the problem in our own neglect, it was disheartening to know that the issue could have been avoided completely. One of the two previous owners was aware of this problem, but had not decided to share that when selling the boat. As a result, I almost had to climb the mast in 20 knot seas to bring the sail down, which could have been extremely dangerous if not life threatening. Thankfully the cost of the repair was minimal and climbing the mast at sea was avoided.

One interesting side note to the experience was our interaction with the local Fed-Ex office. As there is only one Fed-Ex location for the entire country the address is simply: "Fed-Ex, Tortola." Given this simple address you would think it difficult to screw up a delivery then, but for some inexplicable reason the Fed-Ex office was moved one day and they never thought to put up a note up in the window of the old office that provided their new location. That would be too obvious or easy, I suppose. Instead we had to scour the town in a taxi until we ran into it - only to find it closed on Saturdays. Even if you pay for priority mail, you have to wait two days for the office to open on Monday.

Life isn't easy in the islands. If you expect anything to be easy or quick you will drive yourself insane. The "Island Time" mentality is certainly alive and well down here...
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA