The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Kid People

28 June 2009 | Opunohu Bay, Moorea
Author: Seth
Pic: Noah Adams, age 6, models Elizabeth's fancy Jimmy Choo Sunglasses aboard Honeymoon.
Days at Sea: 294 Days, 9,850 miles traveled.

I've always wanted to have kids. It's a bit expected these days, I suppose. But some people just simply are not kid people. We've met many sailing couples that are "boat people" and not "kid people." For them, not having kids has allowed them to retire earlier and be more independent, sailing the world as we are now. And for a short moment I can understand their reasons for passing up on kids. The thought of being woken at night to change diapers on a non-responsive baby sounds about as exciting as a 75 knot gale. But for Elizabeth and I, we both know that we want to have kids and we have learned that it is possible to be both "Boat" and "Kid" people.

We've been cruising on and off with the Adams family on Imagine (a Hallberg Rassy 46) for almost 10,000 miles and along the way we have become good friends. Marc Adams is a climber and a card player, smart, hardworking and still able to relax at the end of the day with a beer. We get along well, even though he is one of those people that has refused to buy an iPod simply because everyone has one (I mean, come-on, you need an iPod on a trip like this!). Jane is a career woman and a registered pharmacist, and during this trip has taken on the daunting task of home-schooling their kids. They have a daughter, Caroline (age 10) and two boys, Grant and Noah (ages 8 and 6 respectively). Together, they might just be the perfect family.

The kids are well behaved and respectful due to good parenting. But through sailing the world it is obvious that they have become mature for their age given their nearly constant contact with adults. They remain outgoing in order to meet other kids, regardless of their nationality and occasional language barriers. They are certainly worldly with a geographic understanding far superior to most American adults. They're athletic - you should see these kids swim. And fearless - the boys are obsessed with sharks! But more than anything, they know their parents and their parents know them. Marc and Jane are probably spending more time with their kids during their formative years than any other family I know. The kids are not in day care or with a Nanny. They go through the good times (learning about the Panama Canal by going through it together) and the bad times (working as a team to anchor with a boat smoking from a bad alternator). But by the end of their trip they will be closer to one another than ever before. Sharing in the accomplishment of sailing the world - together as a team.

It is inspirational to Elizabeth and I and we love what we see. Hopefully we'll become both "Kid" and "Boat" people ourselves someday. I can't "Imagine" a better way to be a part of your children's lives.
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA