The Hynes Honeymoon!

09 February 2019 | Earth
05 December 2012
25 May 2010 | San Francsico, CA
22 May 2010 | Brissy to Sydney, Australia
14 May 2010 | Bundaburg to Brisbane
10 March 2010
02 March 2010 | Hiva Oa, Marquesas
15 February 2010
14 February 2010 | Half Moon Bay, California
08 February 2010 | Virginia to Australia
04 February 2010 | Norfolk to Sydney
03 February 2010
20 January 2010 | From Norfolk to Australia, 15,500 miles
15 January 2010
11 January 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 January 2010 | Nammucca Point, NSW, Australia

Suwarrow Anniversary!

09 August 2009
Author: Seth
Picture: Honeymoon off the uninhabited motu of "Seven Islands," with the coral visible below...
Days At Sea: 339
Days Married: 365!!!

For 15 days we have been without internet of any kind, so we apologize for the delays in updating our blog! If you look at the google earth position of this entry you will see why. It would have been hard for us to be any further from civilization on the island of Suwarrow... A perfect place for us to celebrate our first anniversary!

We left Bora Bora on July 26th and for five days we sailed within eye-sight of our new buddy boat "La Palapa" and within radio contact of "Victory Cat." It was a great sail down wind and we had a great time playing with our spinnaker in light winds, casually passing the days by reading books, playing backgammon and watching movies. Although the passage was one of our easiest, we were pretty excited to reach Suwarrow, one of the most remote islands in all of the South Pacific.

The island itself was a beautiful atoll - essentially a ring of coral in the middle of the ocean with just a few tiny island "motus" as part of the outer ring. The protected interior could be best described as a "lake" and was a perfect refuge from the incessant ocean swells. As there is no city or airport the only visitors to this far-flung island are boaters, of which probably only 40 visit each year! The result is an island untouched by man and the resulting devastation. Inside the lagoon the water was so clear you could easily see further than 250 feet when snorkeling. Sharks would swarm around your boat in search for smaller fish seeking refuge from the sun. The coral was so healthy it would grow up over itself into 30 foot tall towers of pinks, yellows and blues - alive with fish.

The history of the island is also quite colorful. Given the island would be nearly impossible to see without GPS and radar, it served as a wrecking ball to many ships over the centuries. It was first discovered by a Russian sailboat in 1814, of which the island was named after. But the most interesting find was two "mysterious" treasure chests that were found in 1855 containing Gold Spanish bullion, worth around $17,400 (USD). Even today there is a modern wreck on the eastern shore, slowly rusting to sea level. I can barely imagine how horrifying it would be to hit something out here in the middle of nowhere...

So it was at this memorable island that Elizabeth and I spent our first wedding anniversary. We had friends over to help us celebrate from L.P., V.C. and another boat called Nemisis. As I told her that night, this has been the best year of my life and I never knew I could be this happy. I think we are both very fortunate...

So after several days of bliss we hoisted our anchor (after a tug of war with some rocks) and set a south-westerly course for another five day passage to Niue, where we arrived this morning...
Comments
Vessel Name: Honeymoon
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Lagoon 380, Hull 279, Owner's Version
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
About:
Seth & Elizabeth met in 2004 and have long since agreed that they did not want to live "the typical life. [...]
Extra:
OUR EXPERIENCE: Seth is a lifelong sailor with over 25 years of boating experience. His family taught him to sail via ASA instruction and through many weekend trips on their family boat, a Benateau 35, sailed on Lake St. Clair, Michigan. He then moved to San Francisco where he raced with two [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/honeymoon/

Seth & Elizabeth Hynes

Who: Seth & Elizabeth Hynes
Port: San Francisco, CA