Hukilau Sails the Sound

A Blow

17 July 2012
The kids were in NYC with cousin Jennifer this weekend, so Patti and I had some time to ourselves. On Saturday July 14, we spent the afternoon on the boat. Patti made lunch and we left the dock at about 12. The wind was blowing pretty good, almost 15 I would say.

We unrolled the Genny (no main), but it was a bit too much heeling for the Admiral, so I rolled up some of the sail. The breeze was magnificent, and we headed due south out into the Sound. Even with about a 100% genny, we hit over 5 knots. Winds were from the southwest, and the seas were about 1-3 feet. In short, it was a bit rough for Patti, and we headed back in after an hour as she was getting queasy. It was great sailing though, and there were about thirty or so other boats a couple of miles off in the Branford Regatta.

Back in the harbor, we picked up a mooring, had lunch and relaxed. Patti went swimming and we had a fine old time. Except that the boat was hobbying around and I started to get queasy. Then back to the dock for more relaxing before heading home.

A couple of techincal notes: the Tiller Tamer is not broken. I reattached the offending piece, and voila. And the furling line holder definitely needs another stanchion bracket. After reefing the genny, I looked over at the furling line cam, and the entire assembly had twisted on the stanchion. Apparently, when the wind is strong and there is a load on the furling line, the one bracket isn't enough to hold the assembly firmly enough to keep it from twisting. Because it was off kilter, it was a little tricky to release the line from the cleat and furl the sail. I need to step up the search for a bracket.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hukilau
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 28
Hailing Port: Branford, Conn.